No announcement yet.

Wargaming for newbies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll also plug Combat Mission. I'll even go as far as to say it's threatening to usurp Civilization as the best game ever. It's so realistic it forces you to use real-life tactics, yet it's very simple to learn and play.

For grand strategy, there's a new game called Strategic Command. I've got the demo, and it rules totally.
    "On this ship you'll refer to me as idiot, not you captain!"
    - Lone Star

Comment

The pieces look like cardboard counters though
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by PCRefugee
        Morsby's Raiders was one that I never got round to buying. It makes you wonder why developers haven't tried to convert a few more of these for the PC. I got 5th Fleet and 3rd Reich quite a while back and thought they were pretty faithful conversions. They didn't have all the bells and whistles we've come to expect but they were good solid wargames. I'd love to see a developer do Squad Leader properly but the chances are probably slim to nil. Oh well, I can dream.
        you can play ASL online versus opponents by using VASL

it provides the boards and peices, you provide the rules and scenarios

it is more a tool than a game though (it provides a dice bot also)

I like playing FtF much better thoguh (to me the best part of board games)

I have not found game players in my current city yet, but I hope to...

Jon Miller
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

here is VASL BTW

http://www.vasl.org/VASL4/ (I think, I ahve not used it much in a year (was more interested in playing FtF))

Jon Miller
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

When it comes to boardgames FTF is the only way to play. There's nothing better than watching your opponents look of horror as you make your killer move
            Right now, where PC games are concerned, I am totally hooked on Strategic Command. Anybody that likes Third Reich should check it out. There are a lot of similarities but also some subtle differences in game play and mechanics. The best way I can describe this game is Son Of Third Reich.

Comment

Have you played Europe in Flames? It's the SPI monster game about the WWI European theatre.

I think it's called Europe in Flames.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Do any of these wargames have a decent MP following? I liked people's general, but I haven't really enjoyed any strategy games SP for a while now.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                  Have you played Europe in Flames? It's the SPI monster game about the WWI European theatre.

edit... SPIs monster game was War in Europe - for WW2.

Talonsofts WW2 Euro theatre PC collection is called Europe in Flames, not sure if your WWI is a typo...

Europe in Flames represents the complete collection of TalonSoft’s award-winning East Front and West Front wargaming Campaign Series – including all the official add-ons and expansion packs! Boasting over 290 scenarios of personal, up-close action across 20 linked, historical campaigns and 18 dynamic, hypothetical campaigns, Europe in Flames provides months of gameplay.

yada yada yada. I did not like it, but I am more of a cardboard counter TAoW guy.
                  Last edited by Sten Sture; September 6, 2002, 17:36.
                  Be the bid!

Comment

Thanks Ubergeek it looks interesting and it wasn't a game i'd heard of. $110 sounds a bit pricey though especially as shipping to Europe will probably add a considerable amount.
                    Also, I'm not sure who i'd play against as I've been out of the 'proper' wargaming for a while as friends move, marry,work for a living etc. Still...
                    Did anyone ever play GDWs WW2 series ? I think it was called Europa and was the whole European war at Regimental level? The Eastern Front games alone seemed to occupy more floorspace than anyother game i played. I enjoyed Narvik (Norway 1940) but not sure i had the stamina for the rest.

Comment

I remember playing Drang Nach Osten many years ago. It took up a whole room in space and a whole weekend in time. I still have copies of Narvik and Marita Merkur but never play them now. The beauty about PC wargames is that the cat can't sneak in and scatter your armies or leave furballs in central Europe

Comment

Desert Fox games has been a pretty good site for finding a copy of that grognard board game that my neighbor had twenty years ago...

Plus it helps the poor little ol' California economy.
                        Be the bid!

Comment

Best wargaming experience EVER

I just had to beat the drum a little bit over an experience I had last night with Combat Mission. I was playing the British trying to slug their way into a heavily-defended town, and all of a sudden, looming out ot the smoking, hellish wreckage of this little French burg, was a Tiger tank. It took out two of my Shermans in rapid succession, and the only thing I could think to do was let it shoot at my heavily-armored Churchill Crocodile (a flamethrower tank) while the rest of my tanks maneuvered for a flank shot. It was a ridiculous long-shot at best...

But what choice did I have? I trundled that slow Crocodile into the line of fire, and watched in amazement as the Tiger bounced NINE shots off its front armor without a single one penetrating. And suddenly a Comet managed to sneak into position for a flank shot and WHAM the Tiger went up in flames.

I have never bit my nails so hard while a plan played out, or cheered so loudly when it succeeded, in any other game I've ever played. I actually did a little victory dance.

In case you missed my plug earlier, Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord is the bee's knees. And the price has even dropped, now that the sequel's coming out.
                          Better living through tyranny

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

How about World in Flames? A gigantic 80 bazillion card board cut outs of a game that spans WW2 and includes naval and air warfare. Basically, an Axis and Allies to the extreme! I still have my copy...er uh somewhere!
                            We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Re: Best wargaming experience EVER

Originally posted by Ubergeek
                              In case you missed my plug earlier, Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord is the bee's knees. And the price has even dropped, now that the sequel's coming out.
                              Was this SP or MP? It sounds kinda cool, but I only play strategy games MP these days.

Comment

Combat Mission

DrSpike,

The incident in question was from a SP game, but the game does have a thriving MP community. I don't play MP myself, since usually I only play a couple of turns at a sitting (and the scenario I was playing was 75 turns long!) and I can testify that the AI in Combat Mission is exceptionally robust and provides more than a decent challenge, especially when it's on defense.
                                Better living through tyranny

Comment

Working...
                                X