Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SimCity (time well spent compared to Civ?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SimCity (time well spent compared to Civ?)

I gather that SimCity has similar addictive qualities to Civ games. I loved the latter, but have never tried the former. Beneath all of this is a fear that I'll spend Civ-like hours on a game that is not as good.

Given that my life is already going down the toilet, should I steer clear of SimCity as a dangerous time sap?
    Or am I simply missing out on a wonderful experience?
    "I'm so happy I could go and drive a car crash!"
    "What do you mean do I rape strippers too? Is that an insult?"
    - Pekka

I can't imagine anyone being addicted to Sim City.... It's an OK game, but there really isn't enough to it to keep you interested for long periods of time.
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Exactly.

Once every half a year or so I spend a few days on building a huge city, but after a certain point I lose all interest in the game.
      "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

I love Sim City, I don't play it as much as Civ or a few others, but I'm always returning to it, just give another tweak to my city. It's also fun to run a deliberately mismanaged city.
        "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
        —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Comment

I'd equate it with the Sims. Then again, I do like the Sims...
          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I work in a pretty big city centre and yesterday I was looking and taking in how everybody's little efforts go to make it all work and how it's all built on layers of technological foundations.

That's what got me thinking about enjoying Civ's city view and wondering about Sim City.
            - Pekka

Comment

Hey, welcome back Skanky.
              I agree, I'm over being snobbish about sophisticated games for the moment. They are only games, after all, and never as broadly challenging as RL.
              - Pekka

Comment

Its a fun game in the sense that a board game is fun. you can play it every now and then and get full enjoyment out of it, but its not a game you can sit down and play for hours on end and day after day.
                I say give it a try, and dont get frustrated when your first 2 billion cities fail or you have a perfect city and all of a sudden it turns to crap

Comment

Which version should I try?
                  My PC is about 4 years old.
                  - Pekka

Comment

sim city 2000

Comment

I ran sim city 3000 unlimited on my 233 mhz mmx 96 mb ram, 16 mb video card pretty well. There were some slowups, but nothing devastating.
                      "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
                      —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Comment

SimCity3000 likes to turn everything into little blue blocks and those 'hangups' are frequent.not to mention you dont get the newspaper

1.59ghz
                        256mb ram

i dont know about my video card let me go find it

edit: 64mb GeForce2 MX

Comment

Yeah, that little block think in SimCity 3000 is kind of irritating but no game is perfect, though it would be great if it were.

I like SimCity 2000 Special Edition 'cause I can use the tilesets which are really cool. THough I wish there was a tileset based on SimCity 3000 for the Mac 'cause I found it for the windows version.

Comment

it's kinda irritating when you cant see the building thats on fire.

Ive never played SimCity2000SE, whats special about it?

Comment

On Matty's original message...

SimCity is the Civ of city level strategy gaming and micromanagement, when Civ is the opposite on a larger scale (= the rest of the World).
                              "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Working...
                              X