Emperor: Battle for Dune

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The counterattacks start to get nerving at some Point
    In my First attempt I thought I could cut of Provinces which would then automatically become mine (related to Dune2) but noooooo.
    I wished that you could've automated these nonimportant battles
    Later in teh Game I simply chose not to defend most stuff.. you only need to head straight for one HQ anyway...

Dune2000 well I didnt like it but I cant fix it on a single Fault.. it well just overall didnt bring the Kick that Dune2 brought.

Ahh for teh Sandworm-Ride :=)
    I once took 15 Of those FremenElite let them summon some Worms and hell it was fun
    The Only Problem is you have to summon them right as you want to use them.. 'cause if you dont give them Orders the Worms go after a while
    Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

I know what you mean about those counter-attacks Main_Brain, but I found out something. If you take the initial force you are given and immediately seek out the intruder's base, you can usually run them off without a long drawn out battle. I usually can bust up a counter-attack within about 15 mins.
      "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
      —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Comment

Aye thats right indeed They have to build up a base too, but I wished that I had my Old Base I built there
        Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
          i played it for a while, but haven't beaten it. i like house ordos's kamikazes, but that's just me.

my main problem with it is that it story, gamewise, is rather weak... there's a good way to be non-linear, and then there's a bad way, and emperor just kinda leans too close to the bad way.
          The Ordos saboteurs do some impressive damage. They're cool too.

I thought the story was about on par for a video game. The loser end movie is pretty good, while the winner movies are typical.

I remembered one more reason why I think this is the top fantasy rts.

Your units can advance advance to veteran and elite status.

For House Atreides third level infantry veterans are considered elite units and may re-enter their barracks and train all like units in the future to the first level of veterancy. Atreides soldiers can continue upgading their barracks this way to eventually produce third level elite soldiers.

Here's a couple of more screens.
          Last edited by MosesPresley; August 1, 2002, 19:03.
          "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Comment

Harks attacking Atreides.
            Attached Files

Comment

This is a sand tornado in a spice field.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MosesPresley
                Skanky, I didn't play Dune 2, I did play Dune 2000 and I didn't like that one too much. The game play, minus the advances in technology and the new unit capabilities and additions, is very much the same as the original Dune. The big difference this time is the automation of spice harvesting. You no longer have to micromanage your harvesters. Just make sure you build enough carryalls and defend your spice fields and you'll have plenty of credits to trounce your enemy. You no longer need to build concrete, any solid rock will do. Infantry is also better this time around due to a new terrain feature know as infantry rock. Infantry in infantry rock, gain armor bonuses and cannot be overrun by vehicles.
                Now you are mixing up games!

The original Dune was a game where you controlled Paul Atreides in person, and the only other enemy was House Harkonnen. Dune 2 is the one with concrete, building up bases, etc.

Could you post a pic of infantry rock if you get the chance? That sounds interesting.

EDIT: That would be infantry rock in the "Ordos Mortar group" picture?
                I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                  EDIT: That would be infantry rock in the "Ordos Mortar group" picture?
                  Exactly. The infantry rock finally makes infantry useful. It is usually strategically placed around the maps.

Well, I guess I never even seen the original Dune game then. Was it any good? It must have been Dune 2 that I was playing on my old Genesis. I rented it from Blockbuster. I kept it for an extra week, racking up late fees, so that I could finish all the levels.

EBD is very similar in style of gameplay to Dune 2. The structures and units are very similar to each other. The classic units are still there. The Ordos have their Deviator, the Atreides have their Sonic Tanks and the Harkonnen have the Devastators. I know there are some differences in the prices. The biggest thing is that harvesting is automatic now. They are accompanied at all times by their own personal carryall. The carryall will ferry the harvester between the refinery and the spice fields. If all of your harvesters are killed, you will get one free replacement to carry on harvesting.times by their own personal carryall. The carryall will ferry the harvester between the refinery and the spice fields. If all of your harvesters are killed, you will get one free replacement to carry on harvesting.

Comment

Harkonnens get an ornithopter too this time.

Comment

Well, I guess I never even seen the original Dune game then. Was it any good?

If you enjoy Dune EBD for the fact that its Dune, the original would be worth a look. Otherwise no, as its a completely different genre of game.
                      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Here's my thoughts on Emperor - Battle for Dune:

I liked the orginal Dune series (Never playe Dune1), but in Emperor, they seem to have put in some annoyances during the games where AI fight AI (In campaign). Whenever it's the AI's turn, and the AI attacks the other aI, then you get an extra mission, like infiltrating enemy base, and such...I really hate that, it ruins the game...

Last time I had the game installed (a couple of months ago), I played as Ordos, finnished the "normal" levels, then I got to this extra mission, were you had to infiltrate enemy base, which (as I stated before) really hate...But it got even worse, I had brightness on full, but still it was hard to recognize your toops from the floor...I tried one game, but since it was impossible to actually see the enemies, I was supprise many times, and within no time, my soldiers was killed...

The next thing I did, was to try to find a file, were you can edit the strength of your soldiers (just so, I could win these extra boring missions, without trouble), but I couldn't find any, so I uninstalled the game again, after a couple of Skirmish battles...
                        This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

I bought this game recently, and if it weren't for my Morrowind addiction, I'd be playing through the campaigns right now.

If you liked Starcraft, you'll definately like EBD.

I think :\

Comment

Originally posted by Anunikoba
                            If you liked Starcraft, you'll definately like EBD.
                            If I had the choice between Dune 2 and startcraft, it's no doubt I'll choose Dune 2...starcraft sux...
                            This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Working...
                            X