Top games of the year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin
    Not yet. I want to finish the quests first, play a few rounds against the computer. Generally get a feel for the game.
    I get completely trounced by the computer in every game I play...

I just can't click fast enough I think.

I expect if I ever played on bnet I would be slaughtered by people who have been playing Starcraft for the last 5 years.
    If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

The title should read 'top games of the year but not counting the ones released in the last five months including the usually busy Christmas period'.

And FIFA 2002? Maybe if we're talking PC games, but it's nothing on ISS/PES.

Comment

PES is the best. The new version looks like it will be even better, though. It's out in Japan (called Winning Eleven 6 IIRC) and pc.ign.com have done a preview of it ...

drool drool ...

Comment

Originally posted by JohnIII
          The title should read 'top games of the year but not counting the ones released in the last five months including the usually busy Christmas period'.
          As far as I know, these games are about the only "could-become-a-top-game" released this year...if I missed some, it is because:

1. I've never ever heard of the game
          2. It's a cheap-ass game, not worth mentioning...

[...] including the usually busy Christmas period'.
          What exactly do you mean by that? We haven't had Christmas this year yet!!! So no suprise I haven't included any Chrismas games...
          Last edited by Adagio; July 23, 2002, 14:22.
          This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Games released just before Christmas are usually shadows of their full potential. Games released when they are complete are far more likely to be better, if not more popularly bought, games.
            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Scumming this list (last year's PC Gamer UK top 100): http://www.pcgamer.co.uk/features/top100_feature.asp I find that the following games were released in the August-December period.

Deus Ex, Half-Life, Baldur's Gate II, Championship Manager (yearly) from the top 10. The release dates were unavailable for some games, but even so, the sheer quantity of releases in the second half of the year disproves your point.

Comment

That doesn't disprove my point. Saying that better games come out in Jan-June does not proclude good games coming out in July-Dec

More games are released in the pre-Christmas period, thus making a hit more likely in the pre-Christmas period. My statement is saying that a higher proportion of pre-Christmas games are crap.

If you release ten games in each of the first nine months of a year and fifty in each of the last three months; and then each month produces the same number of hits, my point is proven.
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Andemagne
                  hey! where's Heroes4?
                  Yes, where is it?

Oh well, the only game that I played which appears in that list is Warcraft 3. It's not my favourite but it is very good and so I voted for it.

Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin
                  More games are released in the pre-Christmas period, thus making a hit more likely in the pre-Christmas period. My statement is saying that a higher proportion of pre-Christmas games are crap.

If you release ten games in each of the first nine months of a year and fifty in each of the last three months; and then each month produces the same number of hits, my point is proven.
                  That could be true since every developing team tries to hit the Christmas market with their games. But mostly only developers that want to produce a quality product are willing to delay their game beyond Christmas if they are still buggy. (Of course some developers just lack the money to not rush their games)
                  Interested in creating a TBS game similar to Colonization?
                  Have a look here !
                  New C++ programmers needed!

Comment

Originally posted by ADG
                    As far as I know, these games are about the only "could-become-a-top-game" released this year...if I missed some, it is because:

1. I've never ever heard of the game
                    2. It's a cheap-ass game, not worth mentioning...
                    Age of Mythology?

Icewind Dale 2?

Rise of Nations?

Championship Manager 4?

... maybe some of these games won't make it out before the end of the year ... but I'm sure some will and they'll most likely be worthy of a mention.

Even so it'll be very hard (impossible?) to beat Warcraft and Morrowind, IMHO (NWN also).

(Civ3 PtW too? )

Comment

Edit: Sorry thought this was quoted from a wrong post

IOW: I agree with frustrated poet on this, IMO the best games of this year are yet to come.
                      Last edited by chronocrator; July 23, 2002, 15:53.
                      Interested in creating a TBS game similar to Colonization?
                      Have a look here !
                      New C++ programmers needed!

Comment

I'm pretty sure RoN will be released next year. I kinda hope that Sid's X-COM/Settlers hybrid comes out next year too. I'd like to see two of their strategy games go head to head in a year. Otherwise we'd have to wait until 2005 or so for the next possible matchup.
                        "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                        "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                        "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                        "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
                          Age of Mythology?

Icewind Dale 2?

Rise of Nations?

Championship Manager 4?

... maybe some of these games won't make it out before the end of the year ... but I'm sure some will and they'll most likely be worthy of a mention.

Even so it'll be very hard (impossible?) to beat Warcraft and Morrowind, IMHO (NWN also).

(Civ3 PtW too? )
                          Please read this from my first post:

And this is only games that have been released, not "to-be-released" games...
                          Which means: Games that are not released yet, shouldn't be on the list (Sorry, if there's games on the list that haven't been released yet, I haven't checked every game, to be sure they are released)...

We could make a poll on the most interesting not-released games (but are going to be released within a year or so)...

I might set up such poll later on, but I'm not that familiar with not-released games, so if you have some games that should be in that poll, pm me...before I make the poll...If I get anough titles I will proberbly set make a poll in a few days (If there's interest...)

Comment

Europa Universalis 2 (Second Write-in vote)
                            Warlords Battlecry 2
                            Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

OK, that's fair enough, but this isn't about percentages, it's about absolutes. Pre-Christmas usually sees more good games than spring, in absolute terms. S

Well, it would be, if that happened. But if that happened, wouldn't that top 10 list have a lot more gaqmes spread throught the year, rather than November-December time?

Which means: Games that are not released yet, shouldn't be on the list

So you can't say it's the top games of the year poll, can you? Because the year is nowhere near finished.

Comment

Which means: Games that are not released yet, shouldn't be on the list

So you can't say it's the top games of the year poll, can you? Because the year is nowhere near finished.
                                It's about the games you have played...I can't say e.g. SimCity 4 is the top #1 game of the year, because I haven't played it yet...sure it would be better to make this poll at the end of the year...but I wanted to make the poll now...

Comment

Working...
                                X