No announcement yet.

Championship Manager ?s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, FrustratedPoet! I was just using the default search engine on Internet Explorer. Leave it to microsoft to bumble things up...

Is there any reason to download any of the patches (I know where those are ) before getting used to the game?
    The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
    intelligence to few.

Comment

I don't really think there's any need to, but it couldn't hurt. There are always a few small glitches in a game that need working out.

You'll have to wait a while before the game arrives anyway, so you may as well download the latest patch while you wait.

It's not compulsory by any means, though. I had my game un-patched until about 2 or 3 months ago and it worked fine.

You might want a data update, though ... to make the team rosters current. There should be some decent fan-made ones on all those sites you trawled through today.
      If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Well, I got a little disillusioned with CM and have left it for now (I've got so many other games to get my attention anyway). The problem was I had saved just before a certain match. Before half-time I was winning 4-0 so I withdrew my men into defense mode and what happened? The opposition came back to win 5-4 or some such. so I thought that I shouldn't have withdrawn into defense but no matter how many times I reloaded the game and replayed the match I have nver been able to get back to the result of leading by 4 goals. No matter what I do, the other team keeps winning. And the results seem so different each time, almost arbitrary. A bit like reloading a civ3 game just before entering a goodie hut and getting something different each time. Do the decisions I make really for each match really make that much difference? It's too random making the game a bit empty. Or have I missed something?
        Avoid COLONY RUSH on Galactic Civlizations II (both DL & DA) with my Slow Start Mod.
        Finding Civ 4: Colonization too easy? Try my Ten Colonies challenge.

Comment

Personally i never use defensive mentality and very rarely use men behind ball. I only use men behind ball when im holding a one goal lead in the last 10/15 minutes. And i would only consider using defensive mentality in the first half of a particularly difficult away match.

Like real football (and it is) there is always a random factor. Just make sure you put out the best 11 on the day, best fitness morale form etc.

Try downloading one of the killer tactics, as thats whats really going to win you ALOT of games, thats if you dont want to play 15 or so matches finding your own tactic. CM01/02 is alot about tactics, more specifically the "with/without ball" screens.
          Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
          CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
          One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

The AI often use attacking wingers so man marking one or both of them will often do you good, just a little tip.
            It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

I could cope with a degree of randomness if there was better feedback. All to often i have no idea why i lost (or won sometimes).
              Most recent example was undefeated about 8 games in, playing the near bottom team with only a few draws to their name. I lose 4-1 despite more possesion, tackles,shots on goal, passes completed etc. Not even the normal the goalie has a bad day - he got a seven. Now its it possible that it was a fairly even match and they just got the breaks but i have no idea. The commentary suggested it was pretty even.
              I'm sure the changes i make to the team do matter but its difficult to work out why when there are a lot of other variables.

Comment

true, the game feedback could be a lot better.

In the States United, I think the only way to get CM01/02 is thru either www.uslsoccer.com or www.umbro.com

I think I had to get my copy from the USL site. My CM adicted co-worker just moved to Denver, so now I have to email him with updates...
                Be the bid!

Comment

I finally have it! Dirk Dork is set to lead Ajax to ... uh, glory, hopefully.

How much effort should I put into (this is my very first time playing) scouting for new players? Before even playing my first league game, is it worth going fishing for new talent? Or should I wait until some numb-nuts prove their incompetence?

I understand the basic ideas behind it all, but want to know if it's better to wait for the duds to emerge than to try to nab somebody with better attributes before the season begins. (My board approved up to 14 million pounds to net somebody)

intelligence to few.

Comment

Id wait for the dead wood to out, then replace them. At this stage it should be fairly easy to spot the crappy youngsters that will never become talents, so release them on a free transfer if it costs less than about £100,000.
                    Put your best scouts on scouting for players in Scandinavia/South America/Africa. Leave one at home. No harm in scouting.
                    Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)

Comment

You cant really go wrong with Ajax since they are such a big club in Holland. Just pick youre best players and use a decent tactic and you'll win the league with ease.
                      It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

Originally posted by Wille
                        You cant really go wrong with Ajax since they are such a big club in Holland. Just pick youre best players and use a decent tactic and you'll win the league with ease.
                        ...Unless you lose 2 left side defenders to injury in your opening game!

It only cost me a champions league continuation, hello UEFA. The defense resembles swiss cheese right now.

I've yet to have a transfer offer accepted (only about 5 matches into the game thus far), even for cheap 2nd division klutzes. How much $ do you need to offer to get them to part with their beloved stars? I've tried no more than about double their listed values.

intelligence to few.

Comment

Well it depends how much that player means to their squad. If he's seen as indespensible then youll probably have to go 3 times as much. If hes a hot prospect for their team its even harder, because they know they can get ALOT more if they hang onto him for a few more years. Young (16-24), excellent players are the hardest to buy. If your buying from the same league in Holland and they disagree because they "do not want to sell to a club in same division", just give up because they hardly ever sell.

The defense resembles swiss cheese right now.
                          Are you playing a strong defensive midfielder (DM/C) in front of the defence? That would certainly help.

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I've only tried to pilfer one Premier Dutch league player. The others have been foreign, some from the Dutch First Division. Several times I have seen the response that the player is "indispensible." Which is, of course, why I want him. Maybe I can land a trade now...

I've been toying with different lineups in my midfield. All that is clear thus far is that playing an attacking style is the only effective way to keep the opponent away from my net. Playing a defensive posture has led to giving up goals. My two most effective center midfielders are defensive mids.

Fortunately, the losses have come in a friendly and the Champs League game. Now the schedule is full of league games...

intelligence to few.

Comment

I never found changing it to any other mentality than "normal" just made me lose more games. Maybe i was changing it at the wrong time, but ive been successful enough without changing it once throughout a whole season.

The more men in midfield and central roles in general you have, the more possession youll have in a game= more chances=more goals. Other than that most tactics hints can be real spoilers.

Comment

Be aware that the game treats an excessive number of transfers and tactics changes very negatively, and that selling players is very difficult. Tactics that take advantage of flaws in the game engine aren't necessary.

I found it more fun to start with a weaker team and try to knock Ajax, Feyenoord and PSV out of the top rung after a few seasons. You will quickly be kicking everyone's arse in Holland with Ajax - probably get a little dull. It is also easier to learn what attributes are important at the lower quality levels. just a thought.

And Johnny O'Brien is a lot better in real life!

Be the bid!

Comment

Working...
                                X