Morrowind/NWN interface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morrowind/NWN interface

Having just completed Planescape Torment I'm now looking into getting one of these latest treats, and I am leaing toward Morrowind, since the single player experience is said to be better. However, I visited a friend who's bought NWN and was became very impressed with how smooth the NWN interface was - logical default actions, several good cam angles, speedy access to most about everything - and logically laid out and accessible as well.

To all of you who have played both these games - is the Morrowind interface (including camera options) comparable to NWN? Is it better, or is it significantly worse in actual gameplay?
    "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
    "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

I had no problems with either interface and in both cases a substantial number of keys can be remapped anyway. I will say though that NWN is locked in top-down 3rd person camera mode. You can change the angle and level of zoom but not switch to first person mode or have the camera viewing forward. Some people find this very annoying. I didn't have that problem, but it did mean that if I wanted to see monsters at a reasonable distance I had to play zoomed out, which means you lose a lot of the graphical splendour. I'd suggest that ultimately you would not be disappointed if you buy both games. Depending on your playing speed, one of them should be in the bargain bin by the time you complete the other
    To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
    H.Poincaré

Comment

No experience of Morrowind, but I can say that I'm very happy with the NWN interface.

The radial menu (or whatever they call it) seems odd at first but once you have played for a while it becomes a very fast and intuitive way of navigating the menus.

You can also assign 36 hotkeys (F1 - F12, shift+F1 - F12 and ctrl+F1 - F12). Always helpful.

The camera angle is a little annoying. I play at full zoom-out all the time otherwise I can't see the monsters coming, but since I obliterate everything in my path anyway it doesn't really matter.
      If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Thank you! I've heard so much good about Morrowind I will go for it then. I personally hate the first person view anyway, so it's not much of a feature for me - but single player is.
        "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
        "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

I would get Morrowind if I could afford it ... maybe when I find a job.

I'm fine playing NWN, though.
          If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Yeah, I'm getting Morrowind soon too.... just got me a new PC: P-4M 1.6 Ghz, 256 RAM, and a 32 MB GeForce2. Should be able to run it .

Neverwinter Nights comes later .
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I finally got Morrowind last week; friggin' awesome game!

I even stole 96 megs of RAM from my wife's computer just so it would run better.. teehee!

224 club!

Comment

Both Morrowind and NWN reduced to £26 in the latest Jungle.com circular ...
                Still both at £35 in EB

SG[1]
                "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Working...
                X