anyone try ASCENDANCY?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone try ASCENDANCY?

it's a space empire building game, somewhat reminiscent of MOO2. I picked up a strategy guide at a thift store, then downloaded the game from underdogs.

Underdogs have it among their post patch classics, as it supposedly had brain dead AI when first released, but that was fixed in a patch.

I've been playing it a lot, alternating between it and Stars!, and it's a lot of fun. In my first game, some species declared war on me, then showed up a few turns later with 3 well armed ships that quickly trounced my defense ships and planetary defenses and took over my 3 largest planets. I was left with only 2 fledgling colonies on dinky worlds. I decided to start over.

now on my second game, doing much better. got 4 star systems colonized and expanding like mad. haven't met the others as yet.

so, anyone else try this game yet?
    Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
    ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

I was really fun, and really cool looking, but the end game drags really bad.
    We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Yep, I really liked this game. It was a real pitty that the CD just stopped working. Thanks for telling me where to find it again!

Edit: Who are you Father Beast? Have you ever had any other names?

Comment

Ascendancy? Another lesson be wary of games with flashy graphics and sound. Nice shiny exterior, but the core is rotten....
        Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

I played it 6-7 years ago when it was originally out. I loaded the patch which supposedly improved the AI, but it was still awfully dumb. And the repetitive micromanagement was a complete drag; on a large planet you'd build the same facilities over and over again.
          "THE" plus "IRS" makes "THEIRS". Coincidence? I think not.

Comment

I found it compelling for a whiel but the repetition does get tiring. The AI patch didn't do a lot to improve things. I had to start in a really bad location and bump into a very hostile race fast to lose that game. Still, the loads of interesting weapon systems really made soem of the 3D combat fun. Much better than the usual laser / missiles / shields / armor.
            To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
            H.Poincaré

Comment

Originally posted by Eroberer
              Yep, I really liked this game. It was a real pitty that the CD just stopped working. Thanks for telling me where to find it again!

Edit: Who are you Father Beast? Have you ever had any other names?
              Been around for a couple of years, all as Father Beast. wrote a few columns, mostly about civ3, and spent a lot of time hanging in the civ2 general forum.

lately though, just been hanging here in other games.....
              Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
              ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

Working...
              X