Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do they make game boxes so small now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do they make game boxes so small now?

all the stuff for NWN barely fits in

I wasn't even expecting a manual because there was so little room.

How can a company have 4 cd's (like baldur's gate2) and fit a manual in those boxes? '

Now companies have yet another excuse not to include manuals in their games

I want dictionary sized manuals with my games

Why did they enforce this limitation? Yes I know it saves shelf space which is good. And some games have very little material in the box, but some games do.

I have no idea.

But i think that only old re-released budget games should be in those small boxes.
    All the new games should include manuals, maps, notes and other goodies..that will also lower piracy. There's no difference in burning an ISO at your friends house or buying it in a store...
    Some people never get crazy...but truly boring lives they must lived...

Comment

I hate big manuals ... if I want to read a novel I'll go and get one.

What I hate even more, however, is those stupid flimsy floppy paper sleeves that the CD's for NWN come in! Civ3 was the same!
      It annoys me.
      They are so awkward to put away again when you want to swap games.
      Grrrr.....
      If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

The reason why stores like these DVD-cases (I believe you are talking about them) is that they take away less space on the shelves.

For some games there is no need for a big manual and in these cases I'm fine with DVD-cases but I hate them for games like HoMM4.

Fortunately some game companies have started to publish their games in boxes that have the same size as DVD-cases but are much thicker - this way they fit onto store-shelves and allow a good-sized manual.
        Interested in creating a TBS game similar to Colonization?
        Have a look here !
        New C++ programmers needed!

Comment

cheaper shipping cost, more boxes can be shipped at a time now
          <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
          Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

I hate excessive packaging

The DVD boxes are good, but I'd rather take it a step further and just have the jewelcase - or better yet, sell it online and let you download it.

As for manuals, I'd take pdf over paper anyday - but I prefer games with 'online' help, ie. a good set of tool-tips and a civelopedia kind of help menu.
            Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

If the shipping is cheaper then the games ought to be cheaper, but wait that would gain the consumers and not the producers how silly of me.
              It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

Now, it would be nice to have some games you could purchase and download (near instant shipping), and they would probably cost a lot less if they didn't need some sort of publisher. Only that would probably make piracy too easy ().

edit: ack... :confused:) = )
                "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                -Joan Robinson

Comment

I don't think that piracy can get any easier then it already is.
                  Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

It's I believe a new industry standard. From dragon.ca:

Starting in 2002 all PC Games will be packaged in DVD cases or in boxes with the same front dimensions as a DVD case.

The reasons are simple - smaller shipping costs, less space take up on displays, less room taken up in inventories. So they have seriously reduced the costs of transport and storage which hopefully keep their costs down, allowing prices to at least stay stagnant for consumers.
                    About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

I don't think that piracy can get any easier then it already is.
                      -Of course it can. Companies could post all software online for download, and ask people to kindly send them $50 or £35 or €50 after successfully downloading.
                      "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                      -Joan Robinson

Comment

personally , if they would just ship the game without all the crap iwould be happier....probably save a few bucks....
                        Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

pdf manuals?

How can you read those while playing the game? Almost all games I have crash/freeze up when you minimize them. They don't like that.

And reading computer screen text hurts my eyes. I can barely stand reading Apolyton.

grrrr

Comment

Print out the .pdfs
                            -Joan Robinson

Comment

Re: I hate excessive packaging

Originally posted by Osweld
                              The DVD boxes are good, but I'd rather take it a step further and just have the jewelcase - or better yet, sell it online and let you download it.
                              I have a completely different opinion, the more I get for my money, the better: a thick maual - nice, a big printed techtree - very good, an additional unit chart - excellent.

If they would actually make games with less packaging cheaper, then I might change my opinion but that is not the case.

As for manuals, I'd take pdf over paper anyday - but I prefer games with 'online' help, ie. a good set of tool-tips and a civelopedia kind of help menu.
                              I'd rather have a manual that I can put next to the keyboard and read while I play, something that I don't have to read in front of the screen.
                              Interested in creating a TBS game similar to Colonization?
                              Have a look here !
                              New C++ programmers needed!

Comment

Working...
                              X