No announcement yet.

Which RPG should I get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS, when you're serching for ANYTHING ELSE to do, the game SUCKS! you should just go out and get laid lol. If it was a "real" game, everyone would either quit with nothing to do, or throw some whacked stuff at the DM and see how he/she copes. Now, that's fun!

Comment

Errr...ok.
      *calls local law enforcement*
      Life and death is a grave matter;
      all things pass quickly away.
      Each of you must be completely alert;
      never neglectful, never indulgent.

Comment

LOL

well I talked about a couple of RPG's in that other thread.

I only played Morrowind for a few minutes. while I'm not keen on the character system (I still love d & d chars), the game looks very full. You can swim in the water and do all sorts of stuff. Definately a game I want to play in the future.

Believe it or not I do want to play dungeon siege in the future (after NWN and Morrowind). But I don't want to pay full price for it. Maybe I'll just borrow my brothers copy. The graphics are very nice. But I agree, I didn't like the character interactions (ie fighting). I actually didn't mind fast clicking in Diablo. At least you felt like you were doing something

And then NWN the grandaddy of them all. As I said in the other thread people's expectations were too high. they figured the game was developed for 5 years it should be the game of all games. Well it isn't. But I think it is a solid game. Just don't go in thinking this game will change your life- it won't.

I find NWN addicting. I'm starting to get into it more in chapt 2 which I just started. The game is still a little bland and empty. The world is more empty than I would prefer. I would prefer more bushes, tall grass, and trees. But I still haven't got outside the city- so I may be wrong.

The interface is weird, but using the hotkeys, I don't see the interface as a major hassle. Although I took detect (as in detect traps) mode off my hot key, and I don't know how to get it from the radial menu to the hotkey. I hate the radial menus. Although you can use a number combination (that represent each block on the radial menu) to access any command from the radial menu. Think of it like 2 or 3 hot key combinations. I haven't tried that yet though.

BTW I am playing NWN multiplayer with my brother. I'm a cleric (war and strength domains) and he's a wizard. This of course might influence my review of the game. Playing single player original campaign probably isn't as interesting.

And I said before some of the rules adaptations are kind of weird. They scaled them so you could play the game single player. But this has really pissed a lot of people off. Take it easy I say.

I look forward to playing my cleric again soon. So I figure it must be a good game.

Comment

As someone else said Fallout 2.
          A bit dated graphically but probably the best in terms of allowing you to be good/evil etc.
          Or even Arcanum which i really enjoyed despite its flaws. More emphasis on the 'RPG' than the graphics.

Comment

Arcanum had a really nice concept, but there's just one point where I got stuck due to bugs. (i.e. the next thing I had to do wasn't happening).
            "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
            -Joan Robinson

Comment

yeah if you can find a Fallout1/Fallout 2 package for 10 or 15 dollars it would be worth it.

If you like "real" RPG's. Where dialogue choices actually matter (unlike NWN apparantly ). You run the risk of pissing off the guy (or girl) if you say something stupid and offensive.

The combat is turn based. It can be challenging though. Because enemy gunfire can tear you apart . With the tougher guys you can't just go into a pack of 4 or 5 of them with heavy weapons and expect to live. It's better to either hit them from afar or use a rocket launcher

Comment

Planescape: Torment is a good buy too... a bit reading heavy, but great story (you'd love it Sneak).
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I got Planescape: Torment on the cheap, getting into RPGs again after staying out for then years or so... it's a blast if you don't want hack-and-slash. Intriguing, complex... both sad and funny. In short, it's great. I don't like anything realtime, really, but since they simply don't do any tb RPGs these days, I like it to go light on mouseclickin' battles and high on plot, suspense and worldbuilding. P:T has that in spades.

I'm only halfway or so through the game, playing an hour or so per day, but I find myself thinking about it all the time even when I don't play. Always a good sign.
                  "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
                  "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

The latest bundle in the UK has Fallout 1,2 and Tactics included. Wihtin a few months that should be a nice budget purchase for those who don't already have them all
                    To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                    H.Poincaré

Comment

I liked Baldur's Gate 2, and with the ability to give orders while paused, it was as close to turn-based as you can get. (Just that the turns are simultaneous).

But the dialogue left a bit to be desired. Trying to convince someone bent on killing you that you are not some sort of twisted demonic son of a god of murder is a bit hard with the limited dialogue choices given you. I found some of the accusations the guy bent on getting his ass kicked rather ridiculous given that I was a paladin, but the inevitable thing happened, and I promptly beat the snot out of him and his friends.
                      "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                      -Joan Robinson

Comment

Yeah BG II has good but not great dialogue. One problem with scripting the game for any class and alignment is that there will be times none of the choices fit you. Incidentally, you can even get BG2 to auto-pause every round for that "true" turn based feeling.
                        To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                        H.Poincaré

Comment

I liked Icewind Dale for the above-mentioned reasons, plus custom building your own party is nice. The only problem is I should've created a mage/thief instead of two separate characters so I could get better xp shares. I really dont want to have to go back through again. I have Baldur Gate II, but never even opened the box. Think I'll try it out.

Dave
                          "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

Arcanum did a very good job of having choices fit your character more. (Try playing the game with an insanely low intelligence or low charisma and tell me how you like your dialogue choices... unless you really like the brute force aproach to everything).
                            -Joan Robinson

Comment

Hmmm...P:T sounds intriguing...storyline?
                              Life and death is a grave matter;
                              all things pass quickly away.
                              Each of you must be completely alert;
                              never neglectful, never indulgent.

Comment

Umm... I don't remember well. But it was set in a fantasy world undergoing the industrial revolution, so your character could either build cool gadgets (and guns) or he could be a mage... or he could heck things up. Your charisma determined how many followers you had as well has how people reacted to you (this actually seemed to matter). It also gave you more dialogue options sometimes.
                                -Joan Robinson

Comment

Working...
                                X