The World is Square! (SquareSoft)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The World is Square! (SquareSoft)

SquareSoft thread founded to avoid clutter at our D&D thread. I'll edit in some stuff later on.

First, the games I've played through: FF VI, FF VII, FF VIII and FF IX. I have also tried out FF I - V, Chrono Trigger and Seiken Densetsu III, but haven't bothered to play more of them (yes, sick me).

The main thing I'm such a FF fan is the fact that 1) I love the music by Nobuo Uematsu. Yasunori Mitsuda, composer in Xenogears and Chrono Trigger, is fairly good but nowhere near his scale, and 2) the stories are always great.

Oh, and I'm apparently going to be an Administator of a Square forum, so I'll advertise it once it's up and running.
    Last edited by Kassiopeia; June 25, 2002, 15:46.
    Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

I've played and beaten:

-- FFI
    -- FFIV
    -- FFV
    -- FFVI
    -- FFVII
    -- CT (many times)
    -- Seiken Densetsu II
    -- Seiken Densetsu III
    -- Super Mario RPG

I've played:

-- FFVIII
    -- FFIX
    -- Chrono Cross
    -- Romancing Saga III
    -- FF Tactics

I'll take this opportunity to plug my favorite webcomic: http://www.nuklearpower.com/comic/ -- 8-Bit Theater, loosely based on the FFI storyline.
    oh god how did this get here I am not good with livejournal

Comment

Yes it IS good isn't it.

I've played trough

FF VII
      FF VIII
      FF IX
      CT

I've played

FFIV (up till I'm on the moon)
      FFV (Not that much)
      FFVI (almost finished, but I'll have to lvl up before going to Kefka's tower)

My favourite would have to be FFVIII. It holds a bit the middle bewteen FFVII all too dramatic (though well plotted) story with the characters themselves being a bit too... discrete and FFIX that was too cheerful with the characters being a bit overdone. but perhaps that's because I played FFVIII first and in English (and VII and IX in French)
      Fire and ice and death awaiting. But he was steel, he was steel.

Comment

Uh, hmm...

All FF's
        Chrono Trigger
        Chrono Cross
        Seikden Densetsu 1,2 and 3 (Secret of Mana USA)
        Live a Live
        Bahamut Lagoon (Recently Translated, playing right now)
        Super mario RPG
        Final Fantasy Tactics
        Brave Fencer Musashi
        Vagrant Story
        Xenogears

I guess that's about 90% of the SquareSoft library. Easily Squaresoft would be IMHO one of the best producer of console games (Nintendo being the real top dog).

I liked all the FF's, except for II and VIII. I thought FF2 just encouraged sado-mashochism, and FF8's draw system became really tedious to me. I thought FFIX was the best modern final fantasy game, because it was _FUN_ (and no manic depressieve 17 year old spikey haired kids with gigantic PHALLIC swords). Then again, I find myself playing FF's more for "the experince" (Rez players understand what I mean) than for the gameplay itself.

However, i think Final Fantasy's finest hour came with Final Fantasy Tactics, which was a strategy/RPG developed for Playstation. It took the job system from FF5 and put it in into a sword of "chessboard" combat system (like Shining Force, only more character customization).

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Antlerkov
          I'll take this opportunity to plug my favorite webcomic: http://www.nuklearpower.com/comic/ -- 8-Bit Theater, loosely based on the FFI storyline.
          Ah, my favourite too, along Sexy Losers.

Try out http://www.vgmix.com . Especially the mp3s called "Balambience" and "The Man with the Chrono Trigger" are excellent.
          Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

I own, played and beaten:
            FFVI
            FFVII
            FFVIII (actually, I haven't beaten it but im at the last castle)
            CT
            SoM
            Super Mario RPG

Almost beaten: FFX

Dl'd, played, not beaten:
            FFIV and V
            SoE

And the best IMO is FFVI. No one beats Kefka!
            A proud citizen of the only convicted terrorist harboring nation!

.13 posts per day, and proud of it!

Comment

Hmm... not sure exactly what the point of the thread is other than to list Square games beaten, but sure! I'm up for that...

Lesse... FF1, FF4-10, FFT, FFMQ, CT, CC, XG, SOM, Seiken Densetsu III (Corbett translation), Front Mission 3, Threads of Fate, .

Also Breath of Fire, but that was just published by Square, it was made by Capcom.

I still haven't gotten around to beating Vagrant Story (which I own). And I've played wee little bits of Legend of Mana and Parasite Eve (not owned), but I will never finish LoM and I doubt I'll ever finish PE, although it seemed good.

And oh yes, this thread is a good refresher course if you think you've forgotten any you played. http://forums.ffonline.com/showthrea...=&threadid=180
              All syllogisms have three parts.
              Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Comment

Re: The World is Square! (SquareSoft)

Originally posted by Kassiopeia
                Oh, and I'm apparently going to be an Administator of a Square forum, so I'll advertise it once it's up and running.
                Where is this forum going to be?
                About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Where is this forum going to be?
                  How come?

I'm playing FF IV at the moment... the Overworld theme and all the mixes of it are reason enough.

Comment

ooooh, another sexylosers fan? Not that we're gonna link, just tell you that it's on keenspace.

Heh, I'd point you to a lil' CT fanfiction now that we're busy plugging, but FF.net seems to be clogged

Comment

Uh, Rand, just out of curiosity, I noticed you have a little "newsmax" thing on your avatar.

That isn't the 'www.newsmax.com' insane right-wing conspiracy website, eh?

Comment

Unfortunately, it is. No idea how a European liberal became a mod on a site that criticized Bush for being too far to the left...
                        oh god how did this get here I am not good with livejournal

Comment

Even conservatives have a sense of humour .
                          This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Well I AM just that good. But hey, it's fun.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X