Anyone remember MUD's???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone remember MUD's???

MUD, aka Multi-User Domain or Multi-user Dungeon, games were telnet-based, text-adventure games revolving around D and D and sci-fi themes. You interacted with, and sometimes battled, other players while exploring a textual "world" with different areas and monsters. Many were european based, but there were some good US sites, mainly out of universities.

I remember my friends and I getting seriously addicted to MUDs during my undergrad time in 92 to 94-One guy dropped out from playing so much, and my best friend met his wife-to-be on one such site Our skins took on a flourescent green tint from playing in this old, basement VAX lab nearly 24/7

Player battles usually consisted of a s**tload of text rolling down the screen as mega level players slugged it out with super armor, spells, and weapons. For a pre civ-II and smac undertaking, it was quite addictive fun.

Anyway, I stumbled across an old shareware mud client and went back to some of the old MUD sites. There were considerably less people, but still many faithful players for such a dated genre. Some of the sites include NannyMud, Revenge of the End of the Line (a good one), BatMuD(the biggest one), or Viking Mud.

Was anybody else into MUD? If so, can you recommend some sites? This client has many, many built in sites, and I'm having strange fun exploring this vast wasteland of sites.
    "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Oh yeah, I had my own MUSH (similar to MUD) that had 55 people logged in at a given time playing at one point.

I'm still connected to one MUSH 24/7, just leave the window open all the time. It's not really a game though, it's just like a chatroom/goofoff place that some of my long-time internet MU* friends use to talk.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

MUD's are really precursors to the Massive Multiplayer Online RPG's. Forget that, MUD's are MMORPG's, even if they are just text-based.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I used to play Legend of the Red Dragon a lot.
        Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
        Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

I remember hearing about MUDs, but never played one.

In fact, I don't think I ever played a text-based game, ever!

Comment

I played Ancient Anguish for about a day before I got confused and quit. I didn't know what I was supposed to do, and what I could do, and how the two related to each other.
            Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

Code:
              int puff(struct char_data *ch, struct char_data *pl, int cmd, char *arg)
              {
                      if (cmd) return(0);

switch (number(0, 60))
                      {
                              case 0:
                                      do_say(ch, "My god! It's full of stars!", 0);
                                 return(1);
                              case 1:
                                      do_say(ch, "How'd all those fish get up here?", 0);
                                      return(1);
                              case 2:
                                      do_say(ch, "I'm a very female dragon.", 0);
                                      return(1);
                              case 3:
                                      do_say(ch, "I've got a peaceful, easy feeling.", 0);
                                      return(1);
                              default:
                                      return(0);
                      }
              }
              int crier(struct char_data *ch, struct char_data *pl, int cmd, char *arg)
              {
              ...tried to sit in my lap while I was standing up. Marlowe
              The revolution is not only televised, but 40% off. T.
              You SCROOOOOOOED it up, Bobby Terry!! Walkin Dude

Comment

Text based games have their own advantages. You can grab everything that's not nailed down by entering "take all."
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Reminds me of my brief Dungeons and Dragons period.

Dungeon Master: "Why are you talking to the door again?"

Mr. President: "You never said I couldn't!"
                  Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

I played at Dark Castle Mud for a couple of years.
                    Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

Most people play MUD for the social interactions, not hacking and slashing. It's like a big chat room with something for you to do when there's no one to talk to, or when you feel like spilling some blood.

Comment

Working...
                      X