Hardwar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardwar

I'd like to point out a very good open ended game that is rather simple. It has a deathmatch feel but it is a very good example of how elegant gameplay along with very minute open ended possibilites makes countless hours of replayability. The game also presents a challenge all the time since it's only open ended within it's balanced system and possiblities(which is the smart way to do it). It also has multiplayer(works good on lan, haven't tested online). Download the first one and install it(unzip then run setup.exe), then download the other and patch it. Next click on hardman to play and configure it.

http://david.hedbor.org/hardwar/files/harddemo.zip (12mbs)

http://www.softwarerefinery.com/down...ardwarU204.exe (2mbs)

If you want to read about it first try...

The demo is limited to 30mins in the first crater but after you patch it it'll act just like the real game except you'll be missing the videos/music. If you have problems you could try the forum on the webpage but it should work, as while it's quite an old game(released around DirectX 5), it's been patched within the last few months and the patched version requires DirectX 7 if I remember correctly. Here is the companies site that makes it http://www.softwarerefinery.com/ . There is a new patch coming out soon which is supposed to add things like market economy, uncap fps in multiplayer games, and add production of goods in your hangers among other things.

Gameplay involves trading, bounty hunting, fighting, a main storyline(the missing videos provide clues so you'll have to read the walkthrough to figure out how to do it), scavenging items from jettisoned cargo/blown up ships, and other things. It sounds simplistic, and it is, but since it's dynamic it's much more in depth than some games with overly complex rules.

Thanks to Zedo's website, and all the people who took the shots I linked.
    Eschewing obfuscation and transcending conformity since 1982. Embrace the flux.

Sounds interesting.
    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

oh yeah, that's one great game, the video's are also pretty good, but there are no subtitles or anything, so it's easy to miss something.

For a while i thought there were rumours about a sequel, guess it didn't make it.

And it's bug-free (at least i didn't find any bugs)
      <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
      Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

What are the system requirements? A good 3D card?
        It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

I've downloaded it now, but will have to try it out tomorrow after uni. Got the final presentation for Computing Project 1 then. :/
          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Maybe I missed something, but when I played it I immediately thought of underwater Elite. Having spent months of my life already lasering ships, scooping debris and heading for base to refit I felt no urge to do the same again just with better graphics.
            To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
            H.Poincaré

Comment

sys req's?
              well, i played it on a celeron 300, with an 8mb graphics card, it ran smoothly on 800x600.
              <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
              Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

Originally posted by Grumbold
                Maybe I missed something, but when I played it I immediately thought of underwater Elite. Having spent months of my life already lasering ships, scooping debris and heading for base to refit I felt no urge to do the same again just with better graphics.
                never played that game but it sounds like hardwar. the one thing that i think makes this game stand out is multiplayer, and if the next patches addes all the new multiplayer features people have mentioned it'll be much better.

btw, system requirements are really low. you can run the game decently on a p133 in software w/o a 3d card(at least i did). i'd recommend a pentium 2, and a tnt1 though so you can run direct3d at 640*480 with everything on(full view distance makes playing a lot more fun).

Comment

The final presentation for Computing Project 1 has been done, so I tried this game out. While similar to Elite, it is a lot less boring finding places to dock (they don't take hours to get to, just minutes) and of course it looks much better than Elite.

I've had a few problems with it crashing, but my version of directx is fubar, so I'm going to do a full reinstall and see if that helps. From what I saw before it crashed each time, its very fun.

One question, can you invert the mouse? So pointing up/down moves the craft in the opposite direction?

Comment

The requirments on the box are a P166 (recommended P200),16MB ram (rec. 32MB), gfx card whch supports direct x5 recommneded 4MB, CD rom x4 and 60MB HDD space.

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                      One question, can you invert the mouse? So pointing up/down moves the craft in the opposite direction?
                      it's really funny you ask that because my mouse is inverted for hardwar and i can't figure out how to make it normal(which it is for all my other games)!

Comment

Working...
                      X