Opinion on Planescape Torment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinion on Planescape Torment?

I've been giving some thought to buying this - RPGs aren't normally my cup of tea, but I've heard some goof things about it and it's only $12 in a local store.

Comments, anyone? Is it a good game or should I stay well clear?
    "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
    "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

It's an excellent RPG but it's rather weird compared to "normal" (Forgotten Realms) RPG's so I don't know if you'll like it...

It took a week or two for me to start really enjoying it.
    In een hoerekotje aan den overkant emmekik mijn bloem verloren,
    In een hoerekotje aan den overkant bennekik mijn bloemeke kwijt

Comment

I really liked it. It isn't the same old story where a kid from the boonies saves the world. The story is more of a personal one. Combat is fine. Characters are really good. All the voice actors are experience. The main character is Jarod from the Pretender. A Fighter/Mage is Skinner from the X-Files. There are more, but I can't remember off the top of my head.
      "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
      "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
      "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
      "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Its got to be my favorite CRPG IMO. Its wordy in that you get lots of experience through dialog (theres a reason for this that has to do with the plot of the game) and combat is kind of simple. But in terms of everything else this game is awesome, has one of the best story lines and character development is pretty fun.
        "What can you say about a society that says that God is dead and Elvis is alive?" Irv Kupcinet

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown

Comment

First class - do get it - but if it turns out that it isn't your thing - don't bin all RPGs because of it as was said above - it's a bit wierd ...

SG[1]
          "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
          "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Sound the jury is in with all thumbs up then. Thanks, guys. I'll check it out.
            "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
            "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

Great ****ing game!

Be prepared though, sometimes you think you're playing a book! Lots of dialogue.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Eh, I don't have a problem with bookish games, but I will warn you that the game starts slowly. I just got distracted by other games, myself, and never finished it. Still it seemed decent from what I played of it, I just never felt a compelling desire to keep going.
                All syllogisms have three parts.
                Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Comment

A great game. Very wordy as Imran said, but you can skip over most of the stuff about the planes if you want to. It does start kind of slowly, but gets good as soon as you leave the mortuary IMO; Sigil rocks. It is also my opinion that the game deteriates somewhat after you leave Sigil, because it becomes too linear for my tastes. You can still choose different solutions for most of the puzzles/conflicts though. A lot of people disliked the ending I loved it however.
                  Accidently left my signature in this post.

Comment

Quite heavy on the text but as it turns out, that's a good thing. One of the few RPGs I've played through only one time. Give a few titles you really enjoyed for us to work with here.
                    Last edited by Freeze; June 10, 2002, 03:22.
                    ...tried to sit in my lap while I was standing up. Marlowe
                    The revolution is not only televised, but 40% off. T.
                    You SCROOOOOOOED it up, Bobby Terry!! Walkin Dude

Comment

Buy it for the story only, its worth it. I always found the fighting a bit crappy compared to other games. Another wicked thing is when you cast spells, some have these really nice cutscenes
                      (like a lighting emerging from a cloud in the sky).
                      It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

Definitely in my RPG all time top 3
                        To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                        H.Poincaré

Comment

Working...
                        X