my god! it's full of STARS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my god! it's full of STARS!

Ok, I got stars! the demo on the reccomendation of you guys here, and I am impressed!

It's like all the stuff I love about the original MOO, and more. It's not as pretty as MOO, and you can't control battles, but the amazing amount of things I can do is just great.

I have a couple of questions:

1. I downloaded the shareware 2.5 and the demo. which is more complete?

2. during the tutorial, it had me attack an alien home planet. after the battle, I discovered there was a minefield there. it didn't seem like my ships were hurt at all. does it do any good to have a minefield around your planet?
    Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
    ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

I'm sorry that I cannot help you with your questions but there's a great Stars! community atStarbase Delta.
    It is actually a site for the (hopefully) upcoming sequel "Stars! Supernova Genesis" (S!SG) but the forum features a Stars! section, too. I'm sure they can help you with every Stars! question you have.
    Interested in creating a TBS game similar to Colonization?
    Have a look here !
    New C++ programmers needed!

Comment

Re: my god! it's full of STARS!

Originally posted by Father Beast
      2. during the tutorial, it had me attack an alien home planet. after the battle, I discovered there was a minefield there. it didn't seem like my ships were hurt at all. does it do any good to have a minefield around your planet?
      Minefields are definately good to have around a planet. The early mines rarely destroy ships unless dispensed in massive quantities. Mines will however, do damage to ships that pass by the orbit of a planet or region of space infested with mines. I haven't played Stars! in a while but there is a way you can check the status of your fleets/ships.

Anyone remember how to do this?
      signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

I should check out this game- nothing beats missed nostalgia.

btw, witty thread name

Comment

Re: my god! it's full of STARS!

1. I downloaded the shareware 2.5 and the demo. which is more complete?
          Not 100% sure, but I think they're the same. Until you register, you're limited to 80 turns, IIRC.

If you're moving slow enough, you won't hit mines. I think, if I remember right, warp 3 is the fastest you can safely go through a mine field. Any faster, and you'll start losing ships.

"Stars! the single player game" is pretty good. Lots of things to do and it's a great place to learn the ropes. But where Stars! really shines is in multiplayer. Taking your CA or SD race up against another player (or 16) is a total blast.

Have fun. Ron
          Manifest Destiny - The Race For World Domination
          -Playable Alpha now available!
          http://www.rjcyberware.com

Comment

This game has been sucking away my time. it's a lot of what I hoped moo2 would be. got factories to produce more resources, and mines to get the needed minerals adds a bit of added fun. the fuel system is awesome. I like the rammers which never need refueling, and the ships which do need fuel can be adjusted for speed to be able to get places. I can even send tankers and other ships to refuel stranded ships. I love it!

it lacks a bit in sound and graphics, but more than makes up for it in gameplay.

I just got stopped after 80 turns in the demo, going to try the shareware and see what it does....

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...

Comment

How did all these fish get up here anyway?
              ...tried to sit in my lap while I was standing up. Marlowe
              The revolution is not only televised, but 40% off. T.
              You SCROOOOOOOED it up, Bobby Terry!! Walkin Dude

Comment

For those who have the choice, I recommend the shareware version over the demo. after having played through a game on both, the only difference I see is that the shareware doesn't stop you after 80 turns, and you can actually finish a game.

Good Holy Hell! but this game is big! the TINY map is about as big as a large map in MOO, and a SMALL, the size of a MOO HUGE map, as for number of stars.

For my money, the other restictions on the game: limiting to tech level 10, only tiny and small galaxies, being unable to make a custom race, make me eager enough to buy this game. come to think of it, I'm more eager now that I was able to play though to completion to buy the full game.

Couple of questions: can anyone tell me if there's any way to tell what turn I'm on? the generating for next turn goes by so fast I can't see what year it says.

can't remember the other question.

Comment

>> can anyone tell me if there's any way to tell what turn I'm on? the generating for next turn goes by so fast I can't see what year it says.

If I remember right, it says above the message box. On one side it'll say "Message X of Y", and on the other it says "Turn Z".

Could be wrong about that though, it's been a while
                  Manifest Destiny - The Race For World Domination
                  -Playable Alpha now available!
                  http://www.rjcyberware.com

Comment

I played with the tutorial. Thank God there is one, to take me through the babysteps, or else I would be lost. The game looks good, really good. Another good piece of TBS for my private collection.
                    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
                    George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by RonHiler

If I remember right, it says above the message box. On one side it'll say "Message X of Y", and on the other it says "Turn Z".
                      woops! Silly me! that's exactly right

Comment

I got the full version now, and it is sucking away massive amounts of my time. I need to get away and do something else totally different.....

Does it seem to anyone else that the 300kt/any stargate isn't nearly as useful as the any/300ly stargate? it seems to me that unlimited mass is more useful than unlimted distance. then again, I haven't been playing in a huge universe or anything. I guess I could put one of each on a stargate, but that leaves no room for a mass flinger...

speaking of mass flingers, I don't see much use for them in transferring minerals between inhabited worlds. I don't want to be taking away from an inhabited world which will need the minerals. the only thing I use mass flingers for right now is to plop a bunch of minerals on a planet before my settler arrives, to give a boost to early development.

Comment

speaking of mass flingers, I don't see much use for them in transferring minerals between inhabited worlds. I don't want to be taking away from an inhabited world which will need the minerals. the only thing I use mass flingers for right now is to plop a bunch of minerals on a planet before my settler arrives, to give a boost to early development.
                          Ah the mass flinger. Give it a chance.

1. you can use it as a weapon to fling minerals at enemy planets
                          within range

2. Later on in the game you may see one or two planets that
                          have massive excesses of a particular mineral that can be
                          flinged to a planet that needs that mineral.

Comment

In my current game, I have run into the Rush'ns, which are an alternate reality race. I can tell because every time I destroy their space station, their colony is destroyed. no need to send in the bomber squadrons.

I am trying to figure out just what the advantage is in being alternate reality. were I to choose it, that is. It seems that AR just has you live a different way that doesn't give the pluses other primary race traits give you. Or, the pluses are balanced by the minuses, leaving you on a level playing field with other races BEFORE you factor in their primary race traits.

Comment

Hi Father Beast

Check out this link......... http://www.crisium.com/stars/ssg/ssg.htm

This is the guide to Stars! that helped me to improve my game significantly. I highly recommend it. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X