Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game Boy Advance cool!

Hello All

Firstly, I'd like to say that the Game Boy Advance is an excellent piece of kit! I was put off by all the negative press but once I borrowed my brother's GBA and Advance Wars there was no stopping me!!

Anyway, the reason I've posted is because Game Boy Advance games are compatible worldwide. Unlike most games which come to the UK later, and at a higher price! Since I can now pick and choose the cheapest source of games worldwide - can anyone suggest some cheap GBA retailers?

Lastly, Mission 11 of Advance Campaign, "Kambei's error?"; is that the hardest level ever or what?!! Even with the GameFAQs.com walkthrough I can't beat it!! Oh well, means I might get frustrated and actually put the GBA down - or more likely just give Castlevania a chance of being played!!

Look forward to your replies.

Moosie.

I have been thinking about getting a GBA.

That, or a laptop. (for those times when I am out, and really have nothing to do)

Comment

hey there Moosie!
      you're right - the GBA is awesome

i've played Advance Wars a lot too, but i only got stuck on The Final Battle (last campaign mission).

Kambei's Error is actually pretty easy if you use the right tactics ... I'll load up the game again tonight and write a detailed walkthrough for you if you like. ... hehehe i bet i won't be able to do it anymore.
      If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

I'm tempted to get one just to play all the retro games that seem to appearing. At the moment all i seem to play on my playstation is arcade games from 15-20 years ago (strangely enough about the time i was spending Saturday mornings hanging around the local arcade). 2pence a game for the really old ones, 10 pence otherwise...

Comment

Castlevania: Circle of the Moon is tons of fun. Played it on an emulator, so I expect it'd be even better on the real thing.
          All syllogisms have three parts.
          Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Comment

My brother is getting a GBA and Advance Wars today. Guess I'll have to borrow it from him some time if what you're all saying is true.
            "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
            "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
            "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

To set your minds at ease I completed that darn hard level finally! And even better news, I've now completed Advance Campaign too! Just need to get all the COs, finish all the war room missions, play multiplayer to death and then I'm done!!

Seriously, well recommended game!

The only downside to a GBA, IMHO, is that it can cause your arms/hands/wrists to ache holding it up - and angling it towards the sun/light. Of course the real test will come with Castlevania which is famous for being too dark!

Incidentally has anyone tried out Golden Sun? I like the look of it but the reviews have been pretty variable - some love it and others don't. What do you think?

Cheers

Moosie

Comment

Yup, Advance Wars for the GBA is pretty cool. It was the main reason I finally bought one. I'm a bit surprised that some people are having trouble with the campaign though (this is a strategy game forum afterall!). After getting the hang of it I only had trouble with the final mission -hint: fall back, take out the bombers and THEN counterattack-
                Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

Don't buy Golden Sun. The battles are totally lackluster and invariable, and the story is lame.

Comment

Well ... i loved Golden Sun ... although admittedly i haven't even nearly completed it yet.

The beginning was very slow, but i'm getting into it more and more now. Dunno how long that'll last now.

Camelot are working on a Golden Sun 2 at the moment.
                    If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

I greatly enjoyed the bit of Golden Sun I played. It's a bit cliche in parts, yet not so in others, if that makes any sense. A solid RPG.
                      All syllogisms have three parts.
                      Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Comment

Well I got up to mission 17, with Strum, the robot, or something. But I've been playing Advanced Wars for many many months now, thanks to the wonderful roms and emulators out there!
                        But I just got a little bored, and then I got cable Internet, and it has been MOO2 MP and Starcraft MP all the way since then.
                        "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
                        Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
                        Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
                        Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

I'm just biding my time until someone releases a GBA emulator with multi-player support for Advance Wars.

Zealot, what's your b-net handle? We should definitely do a game sometime, once I get back from school in a few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Triped
                            I'm just biding my time until someone releases a GBA emulator with multi-player support for Advance Wars.
                            Cheapskate!
                            "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
                            "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
                            "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Hey, I have a GBA. I just gave it to my little brother to preserve my GPA.

I'm just using a backup copy, or something like that.

Comment

Working...
                              X