Dummies who hold Starcraft's pink-slip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FrustratedPoet

In WC2 the humans and orcs were essentially identical (except the orcs were better because of the ogre's bloodlust spell)
    Interesting. I always felt the humans to be stronger because of the paladins healing spell (Not to mention the mages polymorph - Baaah! ).To me there was nothing worse than seeing my orky units (other than my regenerating troll beserkers) slowly losing more and more life until death did them part.
    This of course was far more important on some of the resource-poor maps but I still hated to lose units like that.

Comment

true ... the humans do have that going for them on the resource-poor maps, but I usually found that because Bloodlust is a cast-and-forget kind of spell, since it has a pretty long duration, whereas Heal requires much more micro-management, the Orcs are better off.
      If Heal was an auto-cast spell or had a regenerative function instead of being a one time top-up (some of the spells are auto-cast in WC3, dunno if Heal is one of them, that's one of the things Blizz has been playing around with) then Paladins would be almost unbeatable.
      Polymorph is a great spell, true, but also suffers from the need for micro-management IMHO. Maybe these are just the shortcomings in my play-style being reflected here, though.

It greatly depends on the skill of the player also, of course, any human player should have a huge advantage over the AI anyway, regardless of the relative strength of the two factions.
      If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Heal costed too much mana, and was really only effective for patching up after battles.

Bloodlust only cost 20% mana and TRIPLED DAMAGE. I don't think I need to say more as far as Orcish superiority.

Comment

Originally posted by Triped
          Heal costed too much mana, and was really only effective for patching up after battles.

Bloodlust only cost 20% mana and TRIPLED DAMAGE. I don't think I need to say more as far as Orcish superiority.
          SPOILER ALERT!!!

If the orcs were so superior, then why did they get beaten by the humans in the end?
          "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
          "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
          "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by LordAzreal
            If the orcs were so superior, then why did they get beaten by the humans in the end?
            'cause it was in the script?
            Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by Osweld

'cause it was in the script?
              Maybe also, because the AI are crap at using the orcs.
              "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
              "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
              "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                The amazing thing is they managed to make 3 races that had distinct, balanced abilities and playstyles. You played a different game depending on what race you chose.
                I am not so sure about them being balanced.
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

I am not so sure about them being balanced.
                  They're only imbalanced when you have one player using a race they are competent with against another who isn't quite at par with using theirs. Each race does have advantages/disadvantages over each other.

Though there is some small degree of evolution here in game concepts, Starcraft is still Warcraft in space though.

Comment

yeah , LA . that and the fact there is no NAVY in starcraft.
                    urgh.NSFW

Comment

So, MoO is just civ in space.

AoW is just civ in fantasy land.

Warcaft is just Dune2 in fantasy land.

Bleh, jealous.
                      I never know their names, But i smile just the same
                      New faces...Strange places,
                      Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
                      -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

Originally posted by MacTBone
                        So, MoO is just civ in space.

AoW is just civ in fantasy land.

Warcaft is just Dune2 in fantasy land.

Bleh, jealous.
                        The comparisons you have there hardly compare at all. I say Starcraft is Warcraft in Space because it is nearly exactly like Warcraft with a few improvements. Starcraft resembles Warcraft much more than MoO or AoW resembles Civ, or Warcraft resembling Dune 2.

BTW, what have we got to be jealous about?

Comment

That you can't come up with anything better. That you didn't make gazillions of dollars off the idea. That you aren't very good at it.

Everyone that says Starcraft is just Warcraft in space obviously has not played a Use Map Settings game. Until you have, and until you know what I'm talking about you'll just be a poor sap. Blizzard put some of the best triggers into the map editor.

Comment

Starcraft may look similar to Warcraft at first glance, but if you ever actually get decent and really understand the gameplay, you'll realize it's wildly different. The fact that you even think this shows that you're probably doing something wrong.

Edit: Mac, you're not one of those pubbies who plays Lurker Defense all day are you?

Comment

Naaaah, I had to check it out though.
                              The Middle Earth games were usually fun. I also like tsome of the Elemental and other RPGs. Then, just for fun I'd whip out Taco Bell Madness.

Comment

That you can't come up with anything better. That you didn't make gazillions of dollars off the idea. That you aren't very good at it.
                                Not very good at what? Starcraft? Never planned to. I only grinded through the campaigns becasue I felt like I should be getting something for my money, not because the game was interesting. It wasn't.

Tell me why I should be getting good at a game that's uninteresting.

Everyone that says Starcraft is just Warcraft in space obviously has not played a Use Map Settings game. Until you have, and until you know what I'm talking about you'll just be a poor sap. Blizzard put some of the best triggers into the map editor.
                                Really couldn't care less. If I need to tweak with settings of the game to enjoy it, something is gravely wrong with the game.
                                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                                X