Clear All

• Questions about Steel Panthers

I have some questions about this wargame:

1. What is the scale?
    2. How do you like it?
    3. From where I can download a copy?

Detailed reviews will be also appreciated
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Here are my thoughts on the game, but I must add a disclaimer: I'm not a "grognard" as such (hardcore wargamer), but I do have an interest in this type of game. For Steel Panthers, you should consider me a newbie, so take that into account as you read my comments.

The game is only available (as far as I know) at www.matrixgames.com. It's a HUGE download, over 400MB if I recall correctly, so you don't want to even attempt it if you don't have a broadband connection.

There are actually two versions of Steel Panthers currently available for free download: the one I just described, which is Steel Panthers World at War, and Steel Panthers WW2. I haven't played WW2, so I can't tell you about that one, but you can find out more about it in the forums at the Matrix Games site.

SP WaW, which is what I have, is a tactical squad-level WW2 wargame with a top-down 2D perspective of the battlefield. It's modeled after those classical hex-based board games. It's a turn-based strategy game. The graphics are well done, and if you know alot about the armaments and engagements of WW2, you'll really like this game. It's deep, and takes a while to get into it, especially if you're like me.

The dedication of the programming team behind it is unmatched, and I don't think you'll regret getting it. But I would recommend that you commit yourself to spending some serious time with it if you hope to really get into it.

You should check out the Matrix Games forums--you'll be able to learn a lot about the game there. Good luck!

Comment

Yeah, I am looking for a fairly detailed tactical game. Thanks.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
      X