SimCity 4!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I warned you about, it has not much about gameplay, but the movie is funny

But yes, I also prefer to see some ingame movies instead of this, but it's still better than nothing...
    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by ADG
      There's a few new screenshots, and a video section (Not up yet though )...

One of the new screenshots shows the firemen in action:

Talk about p issing a fire out. They must have some hoses on those.

Hmm, I wonder what happens when a skyskraper catches on fire? Tower of Inferno anyone?

Comment

I like the gardens and trees. Simcity has always felt like concrete jungle up to now, nice to see the richer suburban areas will keep their green spaces.
        To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
        H.Poincaré

Comment

Originally posted by Grumbold
          I like the gardens and trees. Simcity has always felt like concrete jungle up to now, nice to see the richer suburban areas will keep their green spaces.
          You're not the only one, who has felt that by earlier SC games, great to see this looks to be changed

Comment

Originally posted by Grumbold
            Yes, this makes it look nicer and seem more realistic.

Comment

in sim city 1 on my palmtop i have a row of houses or commerce or industry with a road/train on one side then a 3x3 block of parks. i like catering for the little people.
              i have only played SC3000 on a demo on my old pc, where 't'was too slow and now it is permently expired (even when date set back)
              i own SC classic 4 windows and SC2000 for windows and SC1 on palmtop tho, so SC4 will be a big step forward
              Just my 2p.
              Which is more than a 2 cents, about one cent more.
              Which shows you learn something every day.
              formerlyanon@hotmail.com

Comment

Yes you could always grow your own green spaces, either by placing parks or leaving areas forested, but it didn't have the same feel as watching the sims choose to build houses with those features incorporated.

Now that I've got a new PC I'll have to see if SC3000 will run on it. For some reason it hated my W98 PC.
                To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                H.Poincaré

Comment

Win 95 and 98 get loads of slowdown (from 1st hand experiance) and get clogged up.
                  Win 2000 and XP dont but what about Win Me which is what i've got?
                  Just my 2p.
                  Which is more than a 2 cents, about one cent more.
                  Which shows you learn something every day.
                  formerlyanon@hotmail.com

Comment

Sounds very good

SC2000 was my first computer game. I found it fascinating, and it drew me into the hobby.

On the other hand i eventually tired of it, and have trouble returning to it. The limited number of zone densities, and the tight commute distance constraints made it too hard to build a city that resembled a real one - look at the scenarios for places like DC or New York - industry has to be in places where it isnt really, because the game wont work without distributed zones. And its hard to get concentric rings of density.
                    IIUC, SC3000 corrected this, at least to some extent. And the European cities looked just like North American cities.
                    And one of the most interesting urban phenomena, gentrification, simply wasnt there. You could follow different strategies of development and service provision, but you couldnt follow a strategy of geogrpahically oriented neighborhood quality improvement, aside from higher values near water or trees. Neighborhood wealth/abandonement was not influenced by wealth/abandonment of nearby areas.
                    Despite the fact that this seems to be an actual strategic question faced by city govts, and it seems very gameable, having almost military aspects - concentration, anchored flanks, etc (ie the yuppies moved north, a highway on the east anchored that flank, soft resistance - aging homeowner eager to sell - led to a push northeast, a tough fortification (a public housing project) was bypassed, but remained a threat)

I never bought SC3000, but it sounds like it makes sense to skip it and wait for SC4.

I was interested in Simville, which i expected would have a gentrification concept, and was interested in the idea of hooks up to simcity and down to the sims. If SC4 has hooks direct to a the sims there may be no need for simsville.

LOTM
                    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Originally posted by lord of the mark
                      I was interested in Simville, which i expected would have a gentrification concept, and was interested in the idea of hooks up to simcity and down to the sims. If SC4 has hooks direct to a the sims there may be no need for simsville.
                      It seems like they have made SC4, based from ideas from SimVille...which I like, since I was pretty dissapointed as they canceled SimVille...

Comment

• Just wanted to tell you, that the official SimCity site (http://simcity.ea.com/simcity4/index.html) has been updated...Check it out, I'm about to, and it seems like they have made a nice update

Comment

• I found a nice gameplay video at ign.com , but it seems like it's impossible to download more than one video there, without having to register...They have 4 videos (I downloaded video numder 4, the one at the top of the list), so if others could download the other videos, we could share the videos with each other...

Contact me on ICQ, if you want the video I've got...

Btw, here's something interesting not to be missed:

Another key characteristic of buildings is their longevity. Buildings have a tendency to stay around for quite sometime. In SimCity 3000, buildings would pop on, pop off, and be switched out entirely when abandoned. Now, the building is constructed, hangs out for a while, and when times get tough, decays. No more swapping in the gaud awful, ugly purple monstrosity, thank you.
                          Last edited by Adagio; July 4, 2002, 16:27.

Comment

• I now have all the movies, and I got to admit, they are real good, one of them you see how the tornado is steared, and another one you see how a building is built, it looks damn good, can't wait to play the game, though I guess I have to upgrade my computer to be able to play the game...

I also like the editor, shown on the official site, so if you haven't checket any of these things out yet, then what are you waiting for???

Comment

• looking good
                              especially that video where the building is being built
                              <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
                              Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

• Originally posted by Lemmy
                                looking good
                                especially that video where the building is being built
                                Yeah, it's awsome that you actually can see little people build the house, and a truck delivering something

It's also nice the effect they have done to the cars on the highway...

Comment

Working...
                                X