The next game (possibly) by Firaxis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The next game (possibly) by Firaxis

Apparently Firaxis now has the rights to the X-COM series...

From The Gaming Lounge

Gomisan writes "After contacting Infogrames myself I was told -

"... the Xcom franchise may now be going to Firaxis (Sid Meier's development team)" , and "...they may be planning to develop further games but we have no information at this stage."

After asking for more information I received the following response -

"Think this is the sign of things to come. I don't know if Alliance will ever see the light of day. Firaxis will probably develop a new game based on the Xcom universe but it is way too early to know anything at this stage."

So I guess we can only hope that the name and the games are respected, but it looks like Infogrames have well and truly wiped their hands of the project.

"
    It seems that Sid is continuing the full circle affiliation that he is know for.
    "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
    "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
    "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
    "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Hmmm...
    admin writes "The plot thickens. I have been contacted by the public relations officer at Firaxis to deny any involvement in the X-Com games.

"Firaxis is not involved in the development of any XCOM titles."

I'll keep fishing for news on this, either someone is really misinformed or somebodies trying to keep things under wraps."
    "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

interesting
      <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
      Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

Hmm..if this is true I would hope they'd be able to make a good game out of it...although it sounds like this may be just a rumor...

Comment

I would tend to think that it is a rumor too. A few things lend to that it may be true though.
          1. Some news guy from a site said he contacted Infograms, no some crazed lunatic on a message board.
          2. Firaxis just said they weren't currently involved in the development, not that they didn't get the rights to the franchise.
          3. X-COM fans have been taking this kinda seriously....
          I've read it too, it would be great if Sid Meier himself would participate in developing a X-Com game (if they're going to). But please... don't make X-Com Tycoon, where you would've to collect Alien corpses from the battlefield and sell them as nice, fluffy dolls.
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------
          w00t . If that isn't good news I don't know what is !
          Personally I wouldn't care if it was X-Com Tycoon - be better than Alliance in my eyes anyway ! :-P
          ::ducks the abuse that will come flying::
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------
          And here it comes...
          How could you possibly endorse selling fluffy sectoid dolls over being able to melt sectoids with heavy plasma?!??!? Have you lost what few brain cells you have left?!?!? There's only one justifiable reason to spout off this kind of anti-X-Com blasphemy; Psionic control! Greg has been mind-controlled by a sectoid commander!!! Hang on Greg, I'll save you!!!!!!!!!
          ::readies stun rod with an evil gleam in his eyes::

Comment

My search continues.

This is from a Ghost Recon newsgroup:
            Infogrames (both French companies is where the confusion happened) holds the X-Com licence, but they are looking to sell it (it is rumoured to
            likely to go to Firaxis).

Comment

Found this on a russian site, so I ran it thru the translator:

If we believe to the information of one site, there is a probability that taytl X -Com will be transmitted to the company Of firaxis. According to the source of information, the transaction seemingly has already been designated and soon it takes place. Also, the author of post asserts that the comrades from Firaxis relate to the probability of appearance To allianche with the large skepticism. As a whole, there is a prospect, that mister Meyer will apply his hand to future X -Com.

Comment

Cool!

Question though: will this potential game have anti-tank spearmen? And will they still be able to at least damage (if not destroy) Plasma Hovertanks?

Please say yes!
                "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
                -- C.S. Lewis

Comment

Isn't an X-COM game currently under development?
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Well, there is Alliance, but no one knows the real story on that. There is also X COM 7, which no one seems to know about.

Comment

this sucks. I just don't trust firaxis anymore. sorry. the only person I would trust with this game over there is sid himself. but that seems unlikely. as you can tell from my signiture I do like sim golf though. not sure who else was involved in that- I'm guessing maxis did a big part of that as well. I just don't trust firaxis.

Comment

Wooooohooooooo!!!

Well, BR has already left Firaxis, so theres no chance of him leaving after 3 months of development and ruining this project.
                        I believe that Firaxis want to make fun games, not just to get something out the door. With Civ 3 however, buget and time constraints forced them to release an imporoperly tested and incomplete product.

Isn't an X-COM game currently under development?

Unfortunately there is no real X-Com game under development atm. If Firaxis are doing this, hopefully it will be similar to the original games ( UFO through to Apocolypse).
                        Rather than continuing the "What genre are we doing today" tradition.

@ Terser's comment
                        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Best news since X-com Apocalypse

Well, to me it seems like a lot of wishful thinking, but if it do turns out to be true, it's the best news in gaming history! X-com 1-3 are by very far the best games I've ever played!

But please Firaxis, the closer you stay to the first three games, the happier the fans will be!

*Runs off to celebrate even the possibility of the rumor being true*
                          /Cesa

Comment

Working...
                          X