Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talonsoft's Bombing the Reich

Anyone here ever play that game?

If so I'd like to discuss strategies with you.
    signature not visible until patch comes out.

Is that the companion to the Battle of Britain game where you plan the raids rather than fly the aircraft? I found BoB too dry for my tastes, especially when you couldn't destroy enemy aircraft if you caught them on the ground.
    To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
    H.Poincaré

Comment

Originally posted by Grumbold
      Is that the companion to the Battle of Britain game where you plan the raids rather than fly the aircraft? I found BoB too dry for my tastes, especially when you couldn't destroy enemy aircraft if you caught them on the ground.

That's the game precisely. Yes even though I love both games I will admit they can be dry and repetitive. I think if it weren't for my insatiable interest in WW2 I would have shelved these games a long time ago.

I never had too much success bagging enemy planes on the ground in BoB however you can do it in 12 o'clock high bombing the reich. Usually sending a fighter sweep first thing in the morning to an airfield that is known to have aircraft in them will result in damage or destruction of quite a few planes on the ground.

Comment

Glad to see they fixed that for the sequel.
        To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
        H.Poincaré

Comment

I didn't hear all that many great things about BoB and BTR when they first came out, but many months ago, I saw BoB on sale for $7.00 and figured, what the hey.

To my surprise, I loved the game. It was great watching the German bombers flying to London and then hearing the sound effects of bombing/air raid sirens, etc

I also picked up BTR very cheaply and only played it for a short time (I collect wargame/strategy games. So I'll buy them when I see them and then play them later). I must say the sight of large bombing formations is a sight to behold.

If nothing else, these games are a real history lesson in both sight and sounds. . .

Comment

Brother Leonidas:

Both Bob and BtR are indeed great games. I love and collect wargames as well so I know what you mean. Unfortunately I paid full price for these games when they first came out. I had to have them! No regrets though because they both still provide me with many hours of fun.

These games tend to overload you with data and are a bit repetitive. That's no reason to be discouraged with them though. Any hardcore wargamer can understand that in real war there are missions that are performed on a daily basis over and over again. Both of these games capture that atmosphere very well. No matter which side you play you never know how your missions will turn out. Yes it's the same thing over and over again but with different results each day. Sounds strange but it's true.

Keep playing and enjoying these gems

Comment

Originally posted by Haupt. Dietrich
              Brother Leonidas:

Both Bob and BtR are indeed great games. I love and collect wargames as well so I know what you mean. Unfortunately I paid full price for these games when they first came out. I had to have them! No regrets though because they both still provide me with many hours of fun.

These games tend to overload you with data and are a bit repetitive. That's no reason to be discouraged with them though. Any hardcore wargamer can understand that in real war there are missions that are performed on a daily basis over and over again. Both of these games capture that atmosphere very well. No matter which side you play you never know how your missions will turn out. Yes it's the same thing over and over again but with different results each day. Sounds strange but it's true.

Keep playing and enjoying these gems
              Haupt. Dietrich: Comrade in Arms

Yes, I played BoB straight for two weeks. As the British, it was eerie seeing and hearing the huge German bomber formations bombing targets all over southern Britain. The sounds and effects were very realistic. It almost made you feel like you were there. . .

And if you listened very carefully, you could almost hear Churchill as he exclaimed: "And if Britain and her Commonwealth should last for a thousand years, men will still say, THIS, was their finest hour. . ."

I also tend to read books on the battles I play as well, and must have read a couple books on the Battle of Britian while I was playing the game. I love history, so wargames and historical strategy games are right up my alley. . .

Comment

Originally posted by Leonidas
                I also tend to read books on the battles I play as well, and must have read a couple books on the Battle of Britian while I was playing the game. I love history, so wargames and historical strategy games are right up my alley. . .

Well I'm glad you enjoyed BoB. We have a lot in common it looks like. Usually what happens to me is if I read a book about a particular battle or war it inspires me to play a game based on what I've read.

Those sound effects definately add to the suspense you feel while playing BoB/BtR. It's always a nail biter waiting to see what will happen to your formations!

See you on the battlefront!

Comment

Originally posted by Haupt. Dietrich

Usually what happens to me is if I read a book about a particular battle or war it inspires me to play a game based on what I've read.

See you on the battlefront!

Yes, that's a vicious cycle

I have stacks of wargames next to my stacks of books

Currently, I'm reading "But Not in Shame" by John Toland, about the first six months of the Pacific War, and I am itching to play a good Pacific War game. . .

Speaking of which, I think Matrix Games is coming out with a good Pacific War game this year. . .

Comment

Oh yeah, Matrix games. Check out there website. I thought I saw a remake of Gary Grisby's Pacific War there for sale in their products/games section.

Koei made a good pacific wargame called PTO for SNES and PC. It's an oldie but a fairly entertaining goodie if you can find it.

Comment

Working...
                    X