Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for Strategy Game Recommendations...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Strategy Game Recommendations...

Hi Everyone,

I'm starting to tire of Civ3 (once you learn how to exploit the AI, the joy is gone), and I was wondering if anyone could recommend other strategy games to hold me over until MOO3 comes out? I'm not particularly fond of straight-up wargames (e.g. WWII sims and the like), but I would like to find a strategy game with a little more complexity than Civ. Are EU2 and Patrician II worth checking out? How is the AI in these games? Any others?

Thanks,
    Ollie

Personally I would highly recommend EU II but it isn't to everyones taste.
    To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
    H.Poincaré

Comment

I recommend "building" games such as SimCity3000, Patrician 2 or even Caesar 3 (still good).

Comment

EU2 is a must for any strategy gamer.
        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

i could recommen space empires 4, but the ai will start to bore like with most strategy games.

Right now i'm playing Tropico, which isn't exactly a strategy game, more like a sim, like SimCity, but then on an tropical island, it's fun, but it get's repetitive after a few games.
          <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
          Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

I recommend Rails Across America. It's really great (espically in MP!)

Comment

EU2, without a doubt. Just be prepared to be confused your first few games. If nothing else, it's a "Must Try" game for any strategy gamer.
              I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Originally posted by Juggler
                I recommend "building" games such as SimCity3000, Patrician 2 or even Caesar 3 (still good).
                Never left my HDD.
                Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

EU is definitely an acquired taste; personally, it left a very bad taste in my mouth.

Here are my recommendations:

Imperialism II
                  Pharaoh/Cleopatra
                  Zeus/Poseidon
                  Rails Across America (just got it, haven't played it yet)

These are on my regular playlist.

Comment

MoO 2 if you're into the TBS mood, or Starcraft, if you're into the RTS mood. SP or MP, they are quite a fun addiction!
                    "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
                    Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
                    Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
                    Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

Has anybody tried Imperialism I ?
                      Should I?

It is cheap and would run on my old machine, but I don't want to waste time on ordinary games.
                      Have most enjoyed spending time on Civ I, SMAX, MOM and HMOM 3 so far.
                      "I'm so happy I could go and drive a car crash!"
                      "What do you mean do I rape strippers too? Is that an insult?"
                      - Pekka

Comment

Working...
                      X