Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey, Anybody Want to Try This Other Civ Game A Review?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey, Anybody Want to Try This Other Civ Game A Review?

Here's the game (full version, free download: Advanced Civilization. Play it a few days and please post a review. Thanks.
    I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

I should note: It's not a wargame. Heavy trade wars kind of stuff ... and I know there are players around here who like that kind of thing. Show yourselves!
    I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

this is a great boardgame.
      has a late game tedium for all but the first 2-3 players. the rest must willingly participate in ganging up on the leader in order to prolong it. they, of course, have no incentive to do it.
      game is highly abstract and 'non-realistic'. combat sucks (haha). maps are unclear at points, and stacks difficult to move (hehe). advances are arbitrary and you are following a predetermined path for some civilizations (e.g. crete has to have agriculture or it is dead, ditto clothmaking).
      so i played and still play this game for years. it has material for you to moan for half a century, but it rules and is fun to play with 6 other friends.

now, 'machiavelli' is a bit more dangerous.....

Comment

I have it on my HDD, play it occassionally. It takes a hideously long time, particularly since it requires native DOS mode, but is really a lot of fun. Considered buying the boardgame, but given LaRusso's comments, I doubt any of my friends would be up for it.
        The church is the only organisation that exists for the benefit of its non-members
        Buy your very own 4-dimensional, non-orientable, 1-sided, zero-edged, zero-volume, genus 1 manifold immersed in 3-space!
        All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.
        "They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara

Comment

Adv Civ

LaRusso,

Was your review refering to the original board game, or this port of it to computer? Anyhow, might be worth a download, but on my steam-powered home modem it will take hours!

I agree Machiavelli was an excellent game. Very "pure" strategy, which is ironic for such an impure time period! I wonder if an AI could be programmed to play such a game really well?

Comment

Working...
          X