Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imran Siddiqui
    replied
    I wouldn't mind first person view if I had only 1 character, but the 6 characters are crammed into the same set of eyes - and you can't so much as see them. That along with out knowing anything about the history, or setting - or even being able to write biographies really wrecks the characters for me, it's just a ranger, fighter ect... infact, that's even what they indicate the character with, the class.

Yeah, same as I thought. I read this review on it where it brought up this point, saying in a multi party game, the isometric view of Baldur's Gate and Fallout were the best, and the first person view is best if you have one player.

Leave a comment:

• Urban Ranger
    replied
    Originally posted by Osweld
    I wouldn't mind first person view if I had only 1 character, but the 6 characters are crammed into the same set of eyes - and you can't so much as see them.
    How do you think this should be represented? There are real physical limitations, that you are seeing into this world through your monitor, which is an awfully limited window. If you are going to divide up the display area further you aren't going to see anything.

That along with out knowing anything about the history, or setting - or even being able to write biographies really wrecks the characters for me, it's just a ranger, fighter ect... infact, that's even what they indicate the character with, the class.
    That's because you didn't start the trilogy at the beginning You'll miss out a lot of the story. I am not sure but the website may have the background info you want.

My characters harked all the way from Bane of the Cosmic Forge.

Reminds me of the old days, when I was a munchkin. I'd played D&D cRPGs with characters who's name would be "Fighter 1" "Fighter 2" "Cleric 1" Ect...
    I had seen that.

I don't know how you could do it in a first person atmosphere- but the one they use is very slow (waiting for all of the monsters to move seperately) and very awkward (abstract player formations, and the entire party has to move together as some sort of clump)
    You can change formation in the middle of combat so that's not a big problem that your characters can't move individually like you can with paper and pencil RPG games.

Monsters moving individually seems to be a reasonable decision to me. You can always upgrade your computer so they move faster

Oh, and RPGs shouldn't tell stories, they should allow you to create stories - otherwise it's just an adventure game.
    RPGs and adventure games aren't that distinct. In fact, a lot of games have elements of both.

Granted, that isn't always easy to do on the computer, so atleast a game can have alot of openess and pathways through a linear plot... like the Bhaal Spawn series. But I haven't played wizardy 8 much, so I don't know if that is the case or not.
    It's supposed to be completely non-linear with multiple beginnings and endings.

Leave a comment:

• General Ludd
    replied
    Originally posted by Urban Ranger
    The first person view is fine. Remember RPG's should tell stories, and most stories (novels) are told through one set of eyes, be it first or third person. It may take some getting used to.
    I wouldn't mind first person view if I had only 1 character, but the 6 characters are crammed into the same set of eyes - and you can't so much as see them. That along with out knowing anything about the history, or setting - or even being able to write biographies really wrecks the characters for me, it's just a ranger, fighter ect... infact, that's even what they indicate the character with, the class.

Reminds me of the old days, when I was a munchkin. I'd played D&D cRPGs with characters who's name would be "Fighter 1" "Fighter 2" "Cleric 1" Ect...

What kind of combat are you thinking of?
    I don't know how you could do it in a first person atmosphere- but the one they use is very slow (waiting for all of the monsters to move seperately) and very awkward (abstract player formations, and the entire party has to move together as some sort of clump)

Oh, and RPGs shouldn't tell stories, they should allow you to create stories - otherwise it's just an adventure game. Granted, that isn't always easy to do on the computer, so atleast a game can have alot of openess and pathways through a linear plot... like the Bhaal Spawn series. But I haven't played wizardy 8 much, so I don't know if that is the case or not.

Leave a comment:

• Urban Ranger
    replied
    Osweld,

Some of the reasons are historical. Wizardry started life a long time ago, about the same time as Ultima - that's at least 20 years. Some races and professions are vintage, legacy from the first game, the rest from W6: Bane of the Cosmic Forge, appeared at least 10 years ago.

I personally have no problems with the races, and your characters can change professions as long as they satisfy the basic requirements of any given professions. Since your characters gain attribute points as they gain level, so that's not a problem.

As for the story, you have to release that W8 is the last of the trilogy started with W6. For long time veterans like myself, it sounds fine. Even if you don't like the story, the game itself is quite nicely balanced, as far as I can tell.

The other thing that really bugs me is the first person view and awkward and slow combat - especially when you are playing 6 character out of one set of eyes.
    The first person view is fine. Remember RPG's should tell stories, and most stories (novels) are told through one set of eyes, be it first or third person. It may take some getting used to.

What kind of combat are you thinking of?

Leave a comment:

• yin26
    replied
    Yes, it's a deliberate 'old school' approach with a twist. If you grew up playing Bard's Tale and, more recently, the Might and Magic stuff, then Wiz 8 is a Godsend.

Leave a comment:

• General Ludd
    replied
    I'm not a fan

Granted, I haven't played it much...

But I am no fan of the race/class choices and the story (atleast, the intro) both seem quite cheesy to me. The other thing that really bugs me is the first person view and awkward and slow combat - especially when you are playing 6 character out of one set of eyes. Not a very good roleplaying atmosphere for me, not at all. Maybe it's an OK adventure game, though.

Leave a comment:

• yin26
    replied
    Cool! Keep us updated. My co-worker said he went into some computer shop in the mall but couldn't find the game. Damn!

So I'll have to wait until March, when I head out to visit the family.

Leave a comment:

• Urban Ranger
    replied
    I bought the game yesterday. Installed the game and applied the latest patch. You'll need at least 1.2 GB free HDD space - 1.8GB for a full install.

First hint: CD#3 is required to play the game, not the first one. Strange, particularly the autorun offers a player the option of play. It then tries to load the game which will fail, confusing people to no end.

The graphics are very good, and the game is also very good so far.

Leave a comment:

• Urban Ranger
    replied
    Yes, it has modern technology mixed with magic. There's a class of characters called "gadgeteer," which allows you to "merge items into gadgets."

That's rather neat.

Leave a comment:

• Imran Siddiqui
    replied
    Cool! Many CDs... mmmm

I finished the demo, and I really did like it. Actually had a conversation too, and I liked the text parser. It was actually very interesting, kind of fantasy based, but with mechanized technology stuff in the middle. Wierd.

Leave a comment:

• Urban Ranger
    replied
    Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
    I just wonder if there is, you know, conversational choices and non-linearity in the game, and not just combat, combat, combat!
    Went to the Sirtech website and checked. Since W8 got great reviews from both Games Domain and Gamespot, it can't be all bad So I went out and bought it today. 3 CDs! Must have some great graphics I can also import my old characters from W7. Kick arse

It's supposed to be totally nonlinear. There were 3 endings to W7, so I reckon there are at least these many to W8.

Leave a comment:

• Imran Siddiqui
    replied
    I actually prefered the Fallout combat. With guns and all, a real time, pause command would have been scary! I like the pause turn by turn action point command of Fallout very much. I like the Fallout series much better than the BG one (though BG2 was on par with the Fallout games, I think).

I, for one, don't mind combat that draags, as long as there isn't too much of it .

Leave a comment:

• yin26
    replied
    By the way, I meant to ask: How did you possibly stomach the combat in Fallout 2? Lord, it just draaaaags. Good plot and all that, but the combat just killed it for me. BG, though, was rather great in that regard.

Leave a comment:

• Imran Siddiqui
    replied
    That's good.. thanks UR.

I just wonder if there is, you know, conversational choices and non-linearity in the game, and not just combat, combat, combat!

Leave a comment:

• Urban Ranger
    replied
    Both Wizardry 6: Bane of the Cosmic Forge and Wizardry 7: Crusader of the Dark Savant are excellent RPG's with a solid story. CDS follows BCF, and Wizardry 8 is supposed to follow CDS. If so, it should have a great story too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X