Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn you Moraelin !!!

You made me spend more money!

Sure enough you start yacking up how good Colonization is, comparing it to Civ3 gameplay wise and so forth, and what do I just HAPPEN to see at Fry's as I'm walking through? Just guess...

Yep. Colonization. For under $5. I couldn't beleive it. I looked at it, and started to remember those strangely addicting music tunes, and I just HAD to buy it. I remember playing the Amiga version (or was it the DOS version) and wanted to relive a few moments of such a novel game...

Oh, and it works great on Windows 2000...

Thanks Moraelin, you big jerk! Please don't mention any other games, I'm going broke here...

Venger

I know some folks here have been bringing this game up but to this day, I still don't understand. IMHO, Colonization was a crappy, micromanagement-heavy game. A little later, Conquest of the New World came out and it was a far superior game than Colonization. (CNW is in my top 5 favorite strategy games of all time...best combat model ever for a TBS game.) Most of the reviewers gave CNW higher scores (CGW gave it 5 stars) but because Colonization had Sid's name on it, I guess folks think it must be a better game.

Since we got to say something about Civ3 to make it relevant in this forum, I'll just say that I look forward to playing a 'colonizing the New World' scenario using Civ3. But I'll wait patiently for however long that might take.

Comment

But Venger, Colonization is a great game! I even played it this year! What's wrong with it? I still find it very addicting and challenging!
      "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
      Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
      Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
      Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

Steve - sounds like a good game - who published it? I thought Colonization had a perfect blend of ease, fun, and novelty. And great music.

Zealot - you misunderstand, I was being facetious - I really loved Colonization, I was being tongue in cheek...I'm glad he brought it up...

Venger

Comment

Originally posted by Venger
          Steve - sounds like a good game - who published it? I thought Colonization had a perfect blend of ease, fun, and novelty. And great music.
          QuickSilver. The company which is developing MoO 3.

Originally posted by Venger
          Zealot - you misunderstand, I was being facetious - I really loved Colonization, I was being tongue in cheek...I'm glad he brought it up...
          You just saved yourself from going down on my consideration...
          "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
          Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
          Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
          Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

CNW

Let's see if I can sneek this in under the radar....

CNW Deluxe version is 4-5 years old but to this day, there has not been a better game focusing on the balance between exploration, managing colony buildings/resources and combat/conquest. As mentioned, with the exception of 1 or 2 games I can't think of, there had not been a better combat model for TBS games than what was designed CNW.

Comment

CNW II

There was supposed to be a Conquest of the New World II. It has been kicked around on the future release lists of various companies for years. Would Quicksilver respond to a grass roots outcry to make the project a reality? I would also love to see a CNW Forum.

The combat model was simple but cool. Almost like playing chess. The AI seems to be more aggressive on faster machines than slower ones. Anyhoo, the deluxe version of the game is definately worth a look. TheUnderdogs.org has information on where to get the game.
              "Our lives are frittered away by detail....simplify, simplify."

Comment

Oh... Got worried for a moment there when I read the thread title

As for Steve Clark, guilty as charged. That game had tons of micro-management. Well, not THAT much, actually. I mean, it wasn't really any worse than assigning people to map squares in Civ 3. You only had 8 squares around the city, plus the buildings in it. If you think of those buildings as "squares", you really didn't have more of them than in Civ 3.

Dunno, I think I liked it for what it was, not for Sid's name on the box.

No arguments about CNW, though. That was a very good game, too. And the graphics definitely looked better than Colonization. (Well, not that graphics are that important, but it's a nice bonus.) And the combat engine definitely was better than the one in Colonization. Kind of missed the more detailed options from Colonization, though. But I guess that if you dislike micro-management, that probably counted as an improvement.

Think of it this way, though. Noone said it has to be an exclusive choice. I can like both Colonization AND CNW.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Clark
                  I know some folks here have been bringing this game up but to this day, I still don't understand. IMHO, Colonization was a crappy, micromanagement-heavy game. A little later, Conquest of the New World came out and it was a far superior game than Colonization. (CNW is in my top 5 favorite strategy games of all time...best combat model ever for a TBS game.) Most of the reviewers gave CNW higher scores (CGW gave it 5 stars) but because Colonization had Sid's name on it, I guess folks think it must be a better game.
                  A gamer after my own heart. There's another thread out there I mentioned I found Colonization a micromanagy, dull, horrible game. I didn't even think to mention CNW since the topic was Sid/Brian games, but yes, CNW did the Colonization/Conquest of the New World topic RIGHT. Awesome game, thanks for reminding me :>

Comment

Venger - whatever happened to your CTP2 adventures? You seemed positive about it at first but I haven't seen anything from you about it since.

I wanted to purchase the game myself and almost did but the CTP2 forum board was so full of complaints that I was scared off.

Comment

I've been extremely busy - I haven't been able to play CTP2, SMAC, or Col since buying them...should have some free time coming up though!

Venger

Comment

Working...
                      X