Motion sickness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motion sickness

This is a bit embarrassing to admit, but I get motion sickness from first person shooter games (eg Quake, Unreal, Half Life, etc). Does anyone else suffer from this and have any have any tips on how to avoid it?

I've got a pretty fast computer, so slow screen refreshes shouldn't be the reason I get into trouble.
    'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
    - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

A tip to avoid it: don't play such games , at least in long sequences - take short breaks between the missions. But that is not possible in MP... You can also try to change the lighting of your room/office where you play those games.
    I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

I've had this problem to but only with some games, and those games had loud colours in them that made me sick. Quake, unreal, half-life etc is no problem but it also depends on how you play them, stop and think sometimes ( this is often good out of pure gameplay reasons to ) and gather yourself instead of tensing up and running all over the place.
      It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

Of the people that I know that played Wolfenstein (the original), most experienced this very clearly. I used to get it until I made the screen smaller, which made the experience slightly less immersive, but much less nauseating.

I seem to remember somebody else getting it with doom.

Apparently I am pretty funny to watch too - jumping back and forth and leaning over to peer around corners
        "I'm so happy I could go and drive a car crash!"
        "What do you mean do I rape strippers too? Is that an insult?"
        - Pekka

Comment

A friend of mine also gets motion sickness from first-person shooters. Me, I have no problem with them.

Comment

Thanks everybody. I've made the sceen size smaller and that seems to have done the trick
            'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'

Comment

*points and laughs* Hah hah!
              Nah, haven't experienced it, but when I play a FPS intently for a long period I kinda get flashs from the maps as soon as I close my eyes.

Comment

Keep the lights on when you play. The main thing (as MattyBoy mentioned) is to stop yourself from getting sucked into the game too much. If your brain interprets it as pictures on a screen you'll be fine. If your brain interprets it as the real world you're going to have trouble.
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I had this problem with Half-Life Team Fortress for awhile (multiplayer, so I couldn't very easily take breaks), but was able to avoid the problem by playing a class that pretty much only fired in a single direction (e.g. Sniper or Heavy Weapons Guy). If a Pyro, Soldier, or Spy tried to circle-jerk me (kept running around me and attacking, making it impossible for me to get a bead on them), then I just accepted that my corpsification was imminent.

After some practice I've managed to overcome my motion-sickness problem, and am now able to circle-jerk enemy HW Guys as a Pyro or Soldier. I don't know if I'm unique in being able to get used to the motion sickness, but I'm guessing that I'm not. Stick with it, hopefully you'll get over it.
                  <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

I'm talking out of my ass here, but I think it's how you look at the game that makes some people feel sick. For example, in a FPS you have to look with your hand, rather then your eyes (if you want to look somewhere, you need to move the mouse instead of your eyes) Also, if you focus too much on the graphics and their movement, that can also cause sickness. The trick is having it come natural to you, to not even notice the graphics, or thinking about how to move and see. Growing up with computers, it's second nature to me... but sometimes when I'm looking for chopy graphics or something, I'll start to focus on the graphics and I'll often start to feel nauscious when that happens.
                    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I've conducted a few more experiments, and found that wearing my glasses (which are very weak) does the trick.

Comment

Working...
                      X