Simgolf demo is out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simgolf demo is out

Bekijk je tv-programma's, films en series rechtstreeks live of uitgesteld in replay, raadpleeg je tv-gids en geniet van exclusieve inhoud over sport, films, series ... Proximus Pickx is beschikbaar op al je schermen: pc, smartphone, tablet en tv.

also
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Just downloaded&installed it and...
      • It's lacking a "Boss"-screen, this is very bad
      • You get a couple of comersial screens at exist
      • First two second impression is that grafically looks somewhat like Civ3

So don't bother, you just get into trouble. Trust me on this one...

Comment

downloaded it, havent started it yet, i need the urge to post this form the readme
        7. Credits

@Firaxis

DESIGN
        Sid Meier

PROGRAMMING
        Sid Meier
        Jacob Solomon

Comment

I just downloaded the demo file from ea, and my OS doesn't recognize the file type. It asks me to select what should it Open with...!

Could anyone give me some help, please?

Edit: My OS is Windows 2000, version 5.00.2195
          Last edited by Zealot; November 15, 2001, 12:10.
          "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
          Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
          Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
          Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

The game looks way too much like a God game. I don't like the straight lines (obvious diamond shaped hexes).

Comment

i wonder why this gets a public demo and civ 3 didn't?
              Prince of...... the Civ Mac Forum

Comment

A first glance at SimGolf

First I have none or very little experience with Sim-games from earlier.
                (Played something called simCity ages ago for a short while IIRC…)
                And by the looks of it, this Sim-genree isn't my cup of tea.

The demo in itself looks graphically OK to me, except the very harsh limit of whats course and whats not. Your border ends in nothingness. (Just like the Disney-movie "Never ending story") How much more fun wouldn't it be to see your area…

Also the sounds, people saying this and that, are quite entertaining. (But for how long?)

During my play had to fire a couple of golfers, when they were trying to catch a ball outside the area and thus locking the fairway. (Only way I managed to solve this "bug") Also their balls kept on rolling over my screen in a slow motion. (Also a bug?)

Very good is the ability to rotate your map (course), and also there was three levels on zoom.

In conclusion I can say that I liked the demo - It was a nice piece of work and sure was helpful to me. Now I'm sure that I wouldn't find SimGolf entertaining for me after a short while.

Comment

After playing a couple of games I have come to the conclusion:
                  -The game still have many bugs. Sometimes after finnishing a tournament the game kinda stops. This means I just finnished my last hole (all other players have finnished) then everything seems dead. 2 players are still on the map (the other 4 players had left) and just stands around. Officially the tournament is still going so I can't get any visitors and I can't get the money I won, this means the money just goes down into the red

-Really annoying I have to quit the game just to start a new one

-The graphics is ok

-The "create player" seems almost useless. I can't see any difference on the different heads (when playing)

-The game gives me the fealing golf is a gay sport. Reason, I only see guys fall in love with guys (Pretty much all the time) and girls fall in love with girls (extremely rare, seen that one once). This is concluded when looking at the names or what they say

-Demo only allows resolution on 640x480

-Demo only allows 3 holes (4 holes would have been much more interesting to get the hang of the playability of the game)

-All in all. The game looks ok, but nothing I would waste any money on
                  This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

I just had a look in some of the files and found a jackal.txt the first thing I've noticed after opening the files was the headline: Sid Meier's ALPHA CENTAURI and it mentions something about multiplayer and such...what the h*** does that have to do with Simgolf???

Comment

Originally posted by ADG
                      -Demo only allows resolution on 640x480
                      for some strange reason we 800x600 screens

Comment

Originally posted by ADG
                        I just had a look in some of the files and found a jackal.txt
                        it's just a text file related to the development libraries that firaxis uses in it's games.....

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                          for some strange reason we 800x600 screens
                          http://apolyton.net/misc/images/view...mo-success.jpg
                          Hmmm...could be it was 800x600, but that is still too low, since I uses 1280x1024 in most other games + desktop

Comment

Is there some SM Sim Golf fansites or forums? Give me the links if there is, thanks.

Comment

I downloaded the demo, and since then I've played nothing but this game. I can't stop playing it.

It. Is. Killer. Sid's done it again. Shades of Railroad Tycoon.

Download it, install it, play it. I'm going out on a limb here, and predicting SimGolf as Sleeper of the Year for 2002.

The 3 hole demo limit is almost painful. I want to make an 18 hole course so bad I can taste it.

Quick Review : Roller Coaster Tycoon, but golf. The difference is, the club members will come back again and again, and get better at golf with time. So a guy who hates Hole #3 his first time playing it may change his mind once he's played it a few times, or practiced at the putting greens and driving range. So it's much more complex than 'young people like scary rides, while old people like slow ones'. It's dynamic, it changes over time. Your course must be accesible to newbies, yet challenging for your club members.

In true Sid style, you just need to put down a tee, and a green, and you're off. You learn the rest as you play.

Get it, get it, get it. You don't need to know anything about golf. If you've watched it on TV for an hour, you know everything you need to have fun. So have fun.

DeanCo--

Comment

Working...
                              X