Civilization Board Game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilization Board Game?

What if Firaxis designed and published a Civilization board game? I wonder what it would be like. Of course, the rules would have to be simplified without the computer, but it could be fun if it's given just the right touch.

Anyone got any bright ideas for a Civilization board game? Maybe if we can come up with a good list we can submit it to Firaxis for consideration.

And may I ask that a moderator consider stickying this post. Well, thank you, thank you very much! <--- Elvis is in the house!
    Yes
    16.67%
    No
    33.33%
    Depends on how good the game is
    25.00%
    Peer Pressure (depends on how popular it is)
    0.00%
    Who cares?
    25.00%

I would hate to disappoint you, so I will let someone else bring you the bad news

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthelion
      I would hate to disappoint you, so I will let someone else bring you the bad news
      What bad news?! Don't tell me! You're gonna say that Firaxis doesn't accept submissions for new game ideas. Well, have I got news for you! Click Here then click on "I want to tell Firaxis" and scroll down to "Some suggestions I have for a game."

Comment

no, there is another problem in the basic logic of this thread...

Comment

no, there is another problem in the basic logic of this thread...
          Well, don't just stand there! Tell me something! What is it that's wrong with this thread?

C'mon chicken.

Comment

The thread is alright but...

...but...

...there already is a board game called Civilization.

Published by Avalon Hill in the 80s. It is actually some kind of predecessor of the computer game, though you can't really compare both in the end. Try and get your hands on a PC game called "Advanced Civilization". It is a PC game based on siad board game Civilization.

So if Firaxis tried and created such a board game, the name would have to be different.

Comment

The thread is alright but...

...but...

...there already is a board game called Civilization.

Published by Avalon Hill in the 80s. It is actually some kind of predecessor of the computer game, though you can't really compare both in the end. Try and get your hands on a PC game called "Advanced Civilization". It is a PC game based on siad board game Civilization.

So if Firaxis tried and created such a board game, the name would have to be different.
              Dude, names of products are not protected by copyright. Just as the titles of books, movies, songs, and the like are not protected by copyright. Don't believe me? Then check out this article at the U.S. Copyright Office website.

Comment

right

pah. you didn't even know such a game is already existing... otherwise you would have made such a comment in your first post.. it is obvious you didn't have an idea

admit

Comment

Re: right

pah. you didn't even know such a game is already existing... otherwise you would have made such a comment in your first post.. it is obvious you didn't have an idea

admit
                  oh, i have some ideas, alright. i just want to see what other people have to say first before I go blabbermouthing!

Comment

What about trademarks? I think titles of songs, etc. are protected by trademarks.
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Curiously, I don't think so. I believe you may name a song anything you like, even the same as a pre-existing song. I believe the copyright restriction states that 7 "coincident" notes can be considered an accident, but 8 coincident notes in a row is infringement of copyright.
                      The church is the only organisation that exists for the benefit of its non-members
                      Buy your very own 4-dimensional, non-orientable, 1-sided, zero-edged, zero-volume, genus 1 manifold immersed in 3-space!
                      All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.
                      "They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara

Comment

There's also consumer protection laws to prevent manufactuers from packaging their products in a manner designed to confuse consumers. You can best your assets that if ol' Zkribbler here came out with a board game called "Monopoly," the lawyers from Parker Bros. would come a knockin' on his door.

Which reminds me: a few years ago, I came across a lawyer friend of mine with two bags of chili in front of him. He asked if I thought the two bags were confusingly similar. "Sure," I says. "Look at this. They're both packaged in brown paper bags. They both have similar lettering, with the letters of similar color. They're both the same size and shape. This is an easy one." "I sure wish you hadn't said that," he replies. "I'm defense counsel."

Comment

That's an easy case - go for a settlement.
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Doesn't Avalon Hill have a game out called "Histpry of the World"?
                            Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Point of fact - Advanced Civilisation is I belive still available for download from the Underdogs - it's a good game, try it. Also, Civilisation the board game is still being published. I can buy it in a shop near me for £22
                              The church is the only organisation that exists for the benefit of its non-members
                              Buy your very own 4-dimensional, non-orientable, 1-sided, zero-edged, zero-volume, genus 1 manifold immersed in 3-space!
                              All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.
                              "They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara

Comment

Working...
                              X