Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the worst computer game purchase you ever made?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would have to say the worst purchase would be Ultima 9... it was so bug ridden I could not get into it.
    A perfect example of what I was talking about before. I loved the Ultima series through 7, and would have bought 8 as soon as it came out if not for my policy of buying only from bargain bins. By the time Ultima 8 hit the bins, I'd heard enough about it to know it wasn't for me. Haven't seen a bargain on 9 yet, but I already know I don't want it either.
    "THE" plus "IRS" makes "THEIRS". Coincidence? I think not.

Comment

ToT sucked - luckily I only spent $7.50 on it (it came on the front of a magazine), and I have been able to convert it to MGE.

X-Com Apocalypse was very frustrating - it had the makings of a great game, but was astonishingly dull.

I was also disapointed by Simcity 3000 - it had too few new features, and was full of bugs and petty frustrations (like having to watch the f**king parades every single time!)
      'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
      - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Big Bird Teaches Reading was the worst one I bought.

Stupid thing was supposed to teach my how to read.
        Mother ****ing goddamn ass chewing, **** sucking son of a *****

Comment

Originally posted by Ribannah
          Next to that, it's a toss-up between Space Bucks, Caesar and Outpost.
          Wow. I never played Caesar, but I liked Space Bucks and Outpost.

The worst purchase I ever made was the sequel to one of the greatest games ever: Wing Commander: Privateer. Privateer II was not only based upon a totally different premise, it was alos unplayable. And I paid full price too, probably $50 or so.

Comment

Comment

Reader Rabbit.

got it from the school when my kid brought home an ad for summer.

even the kids think it sucks big time.
              Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
              ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

Caesar III
                Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Caesar 3 that was a good game
                  What if your words could be judged like a crime? "Creed, What If?"

Comment

I have never made a purchase that I later regretted... once I paid a big amount for a game, namely about $60, but that was pretty usual back then... nowadays, games don't cost more than $50 here, and that is usually the maximum I pay... and I have never bought a game that I don't like anymore nowadays, so I really have no answer to that question...

that expensive game was Caesar II, BTW

Comment

Originally posted by Father Beast
                      Reader Rabbit.

got it from the school when my kid brought home an ad for summer.

even the kids think it sucks big time.
                      hey my 5 yr old loves it !!!!!
                      GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Biggest let down: Starfleet Command, with Tropico as a dishonourable mention.

Least gameplay for the buck: Majesty.

Worst hyped game: The Sims.

Other not so good games: Caesar III, Reach for the Stars, Birth of the Federation, Magic: the Gathering, etc.

There are a lot more bad games than good games out there. *sigh*
                        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                          Worst hyped game: The Sims.
                          True. The Sims was great for a while, but once you've bought everything, and worked your way through a few carrer paths, it got very boring. Still, IMHO it was worth the $A 80 it cost
                          'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
                          - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Settler 3 - Gold edition

Loved first two parts, but hate magicians in any form...
                            They totally unbalanced the game - A good game destroyed

Comment

Quake 3, SMAC and CTP2
                              In een hoerekotje aan den overkant emmekik mijn bloem verloren,
                              In een hoerekotje aan den overkant bennekik mijn bloemeke kwijt

Comment

I don't agree with the criteria given either. I've bought a lot of good games that I haven't played very much, but it's because I've got so many I have to divide my time up and a few of the better games obviously tend to grab my attention more. Working out value-for-money by dividing the number of hours into the price paid is not the same as saying that a game is bad. I've got some good games that I've hardly ever played or have yet to get into, I may have a game on the shelf for months before I get round to have a good go at it.

Perhaps a better way of categorising the following games would be Buyer's Regret.

The Third Millenium. Is it a game? A simulation? Just what is it? It looks really pretty but - what do you actually do with it?

Gene Wars. Fortunately I got it relatively cheaply. Still not worth the money. Notable, at least, for the corny dialogue.
                                "The aliens have landed".
                                "The aliens have left now".

There was one RTS I bought at full price that was so confusing that I sold it again to a second-hand shop after about a week at a big loss of course. I can't even remember the name of it, it was in the days when C&C was at a high, and all these clones were starting to appear.

Forumla 1 97. Thought it might be a bit like NFS. I was wrong.

Toca. Thought it might be a bit like NFS. I was wrong.

Mankind. An online space game that I played for maybe a couple of hours and didn't really enjoy it. Bought it at full price too. Damn!
                                Last edited by The Rusty Gamer; November 5, 2001, 23:47.
                                Avoid COLONY RUSH on Galactic Civlizations II (both DL & DA) with my Slow Start Mod.
                                Finding Civ 4: Colonization too easy? Try my Ten Colonies challenge.

Comment

Working...
                                X