Sequels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sequels

While movie sequels generally suck, are computer game sequels generally superior to the original?
    'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
    - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

yes

some recent examples

civ2
    diablo2
    baldur's gate2

now there are limits to how many sequal you can make. I don't like too many sequals (like ultima- I grew bored of that game)

Comment

Ya, some are very similar to the orginal which is unfortunate, but they tend to have better graphics, and a better AI. So they tend to be worth purchasing if you never bought the first one. IMO.
      What if your words could be judged like a crime? "Creed, What If?"

Comment

Re: Sequels

Originally posted by Case
        While movie sequels generally suck, are computer game sequels generally superior to the original?
        Just as long as it's not overdone...by having too many sequals...

Comment

no

some recent examples

Might & Magic 8
          Master of Orion 2 (say some)
          Imperialism 3
          A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...
          Project Lead of Might and Magic Tribute

Comment

There's an Imperialism 3?
            "THE" plus "IRS" makes "THEIRS". Coincidence? I think not.

Comment

None of many X-Com sequels (at least 4, maybe more?) ever came near the original UFO/X-Com. A game I've played almost daily the last month, something I can't say of Civ2...

While movie tech has progressed slowly (apart from FX/animation), all sides of computer tech has improved with a violent speed.
              Every year the resources available for a game programmer will multiply. The movie director has the same old actors to use.

C.

Comment

I just remembered that I found AoE better than AoE2...

Comment

Re: Sequels

Originally posted by Case
                  Yes, here are a few more

WarCraft II over WarCraft and for that matter StarCraft was even better
                  Myst III over I and II
                  Gran Turismo III
                  All sports games have gotten better
                  Imperialism II was better than I (didn't know about III)
                  Quake III

And there are tons more examples. Games seemingly get better with more and more details being allowed to be added as computer technology gets better. That said too many games lose sight of what is fun and just add extra elements.
                  About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Re: Re: Sequels

Originally posted by tniem

All sports games have gotten better

I dunno bout that... the NHL series seems not to be really improveing much. They will improve one thing then another will diminish. Take the latest installement NHL 2002, pretty game... similar to 2001, but apparently the defence sucks.

Sigh, hoping for a game that truly catches the NHL spirit, not these arcade games.
                    What if your words could be judged like a crime? "Creed, What If?"

Comment

None of many X-Com sequels (at least 4, maybe more?) ever came near the original UFO/X-Com

I don't agree with you fully (since I think that X-COM 2 and 3 were better than the 1st part) but I know what you mean. They started making some kind of a star-wars clone games and I don't even know if Xcom 5 or 6 exist. A shame really.

Comment

Working...
                      X