Stronghold Reviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stronghold Reviews

Anyone out there have the release version of Stronghold yet? I'm very interested in actual player reviews

I should have it sometime this week, I'll let you know.
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Well, I've just gotten it... I've only played it for about an hour now, but my first impression is that it's a great game.

I was going to write a long thing about it... but I started to just ramble on and on... to put it simply, If you are interested in the time period, or if you like siege warfair, deffinately give it a try. If you don't, it's still worth a try.

I'll just say One thing about it. It has many different methods of play, so if you want to just play "sim castle" and make a nice castle and village with out worrying about combat, you can. Or if you want to play a game where you jump straight to a huge siege with large armies, you can. And if you want, you can play a game where you build your castle and village from scratch and defend it from attacks.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Can you set the pitch on fire? That's all I want to know. I have the demo and the pitch stays unlit... but if an archer stands near too long the pass out.
        I never know their names, But i smile just the same
        New faces...Strange places,
        Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
        -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

Maybe have you tried hitting it with the flaming arrows?

I havent played yet, took very long time to download the demo. But on the website they mentioned braziers that could be used to light arrows..
          What if your words could be judged like a crime? "Creed, What If?"

Comment

yes, you have to have archers with flaming arrows.... I'm not completely sure as to how you go about doing that yet, but I have played siege battles with archers that can do that.

Oh, and the pitch is very fun.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

i think they have to be in the tower or wall with a flame
              Just my 2p.
              Which is more than a 2 cents, about one cent more.
              Which shows you learn something every day.
              formerlyanon@hotmail.com

Comment

Yeah, what you have to do is put a brazier in a tower, then any archer stationed at the tower will be able to light the pitch.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Yeah, I have archers stationed at the braziers (there really should be a different word for it, I keep thinking of bras) and they shoot fire arrows, then I tell them to attack the area with the pitch, and I see the arrow hit the pitch, but nothing happens.

How long does pitch stay on fire? Do the trenches go away? Have you made anyone pass out by being too close to the pitch? How do siege towers work? Is multiplayer fun? Do a lot of people play online?

Grrrr, too many games coming out that I want! Do I get Stronghold? Wait for Lords of the Realm 3? How much can I afford to spend? I'm committed to buying Civ 3 and almost there on getting MoO3. Then there's Warcraft 3, Empire Earth, etc. Finally some good games are going to come out, but there are TOO MANY OF THEM!

I guess that's a good problem though...

Comment

just don't get all at once... they would distract you from giving each game the attention it deserves.
                    What if your words could be judged like a crime? "Creed, What If?"

Comment

I haven't tried multiplayer, and I haven't even used siege towers yet (I assume they are like ladder men, but let more people climb up at a time, and can't be pushed down) The pitch stays lit for a reasonable amount of time, I don't know about people passing out by being too close to the pitch... and what trenches? do you mean the pitch? it's a one time use thing, but if you use multiple patches, it can last through out a siege.

I'm having a bit of trouble geting the braziers working, but I haven't had many opportunities to test them out yet. Does it target the pitch automaticly, or are you telling them to attack ground? if it's working it will be considered a target.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

After checking out Firefly's website they say in not so many words that the pitch doesn't work in the demo. Yes, I was talking about the pitch, I consider it a trench with pitch in it, but you answered my question. About the pitch, make a pile of it and set some archers near it, if it's anything like the demo, the archers will start to look drunk, then fall over. Extremely amusing when you catch it for the first time.

Comment

The only thing that seems to be missing is fan sites. It has a really nice map editor with it, be a shame if there aren't any good websites for it.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Try these, I went searching for some in search of player feedback and came across these, no real feel for how good they are, though theres a few with forums too. The official forums don't appear too useful, but the Sword and Pistol Forum appears to have some developers posting regularly there.

Official Stronghold Site

Stronghold Central

Stronghold Maps

Sword and Pistol

Comment

Thanks for all the actual player feedback Osweld. I'll probably get it as a time killer in the Winter. Right now I'm too busy overworking myself so that I can slack off after my pre-ordered Civ3 arrives (finally convinced my girlfriend, that it really was the only thing I wanted for Xmas)

Comment

Working...
                              X