What do you think of chess?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think of chess?

Obviously, there are some civ players here who also play chess. I'm curious, though: how many of you civ players are also fans of chess? More importantly, how would you compare the two? I don't want to start a discussion of which one is more difficult or complex, or which is more strategic. I'm merely asking what you think of each game. Which is your favorite? Obviously each has its own strengths and weaknesses, but which of them do you feel stands out the most?

I prefer chess. It is far more elegant in its complexity, while Civ is more arbitrary. Also, chess does not rely on luck, only skill (unless you can consider it lucky to have an incompetent opponent), whereas Civ is a combination of luck and skill.
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

I find them similiar in that they are both "thinking man's games".Both require that decisions with longterm impact must be made.There is more than 1 way to win.They are both fluid games that can change quickly.
      You also see "styles" in Civ players.That is very similiar to chess.

There is "luck" in chess,if you can call it that,but that is a major difference.In chess luck is controlled or a product of a mistake.Barb legions landing next to my cap in 2500bc is another thing completely.
      The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Er, what i like about chess is that i dont have to upgrade my system for it

And what i dislike about it is the absence of good historical scenarios

Seriously, for pure intellectual gameplay challenge its chess. For immersion, escape, and history, its Civ.

LOTM
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

chess. well without it, what would we have for TBS games?

I like it, but I'm not very good . While I don't consider myself bad at stategy, I just can't seem to do good a chess. now civ2 on the other hand... I think I make up for my lack of stategy with good knowledge of the rules, and just building up over 50 howitzers . Something you can't do in chess.

I'm reasonably sure if I had howitzers in chess, I could beat the computer on difficult levels

Comment

Chess started this all, but now it's only primitive

Comment

Yes chess is the granddaddy... and it is great to play it when you have time... civ is chess that has evolved... and i like them play them both
              Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
              GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

You can't build howitzers in chess?

Last time I play . . .

Comment

You can take toy howitzers, ruins the game

Comment

Working...
                  X