Stalin's Dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stalin's Dilemma

There's a new game available at the Underdogs site called "Stalin's Dilemma". It's a game intended for history classes where you have to build up the Soviet union from a rural to an industrial society by the use of 5-year plans. The goal is to reach a certain prod/mil level to stop the german invasion. Without killing off large parts of your own population.

The game itself is very small and has a basic interface. Lots of numbers at first glance. But it becomes easy after the first two tries.

playing tip: setting high quotas in combination with collective farms can be very productive. Who says a plan economy doesn't work?
    Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

What is the website address?
    About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

The underdogs is great...it's where I got my copy of MoO.
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Man that's tough. Best I could do is meet one of my objectives. Military is easy, I don't know how you'd get 48 factories though. Especially if you want a 1 SOL.
          Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

Ok, building 48 isn't too hard, but I don't have enough people!

Comment

Wow! Do you get to purge!

Comment

I am a hero of the human race (47/66/1.4378, 9 million deaths)! The secret for me was to rip most of the workers out of factories and put them on oil fields and then in mines. There's no analysis of your situation after the third turn, so you're just trying to meet the victory conditions at that point, regardless of the impact on your citizens.

Comment

How do you keep your deaths under 12, with two rounds of force collectivization I always get 12. Even if I spread good arounds in the first 2 plans.

Comment

Lots of tractors. I think I bought 12 on the first round. As far as I could tell, goods didn't seem to make any difference in how many people died; it seems to be based purely on food production.

Comment

Working...
                    X