Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colonization for Windows

Hi, folks,

I recently downloaded Colonization for Windows. I have never played the game, which was recommended to me by a friend, and I decided to chase up a copy so that my Civilisation history and skills could be complete.

The game came as a .ZIP file which itself opened up into eight seperate .ZIP files (COL95.ZIP and COLWIN-1 to 7). Hopefully this rings some bells with fellow Apolytoners.

The only problem I have is that it's not usually long before the game locks up totally, often taking my whole system with it to the land of re-boot.

I downloaded the necessary WinG file, and extracted it to the same directory as the Colonization files.

I can't see where I'm going wrong, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    A fact, spinning alone through infospace. Without help, it could be lost forever, because only THIS can turn it into a News.

Not that it would solve your problem, but maybe you should download the dos version. It isn't very large IIRC so if you have broadband it wouldn't take much time and it I never experienced any problems with the dos version I have.
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Same thing happens to me all the time. end up saving a lot until the frustration drives me bananas, then I go play some civ and cool off.

apt to lock up at any time, but most likely of all when I access the colonopedia. got to remember to save before I look....
      Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
      ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

I actually just got that same Colonization playing urge the other day, but haven't had much of a chance to try it out. I do remember seeing some Colonization patches somewhere, although I can't remember where, but perhaps these could help, or email the webmaster where you got the game from

Comment

I gotta agree with Colon: just dl the DOS version and play that. The game is pretty memory friendly and can be played within Windows under a DOS screen.

Looking at my memory configuration, I have 572k memory available for DOS programs, which Colonization works fine with.

Comment

Colonization, DOS vs. Windows

Fair enough, comrades,

As far as I can tell, most Colonization sites offer a standard patch, but the download is the same COL95.ZIP that came with the original download.

I shall try the DOS version. I have heard elsewhere, as well as here that it is more stable.

Thanks for your help,

Josef Given
            A fact, spinning alone through infospace. Without help, it could be lost forever, because only THIS can turn it into a News.

Comment

Colonization for windows was made for the first version of windows. You need WinG. It ushaly solves that problem.

Comment

Which is better? DOS version problems...

What's the difference interface and graphics-wise between the Windows version and the Dos version? I've already got the latter but is it worth getting the former? And where can it be downloaded from?

With the Dos version it sometimes gives me hexadecimal errors and warns me before continuing and also sometimes the graphics for certain pictures take a long time to draw. Anyone notice that? Is there any way around it?
                Avoid COLONY RUSH on Galactic Civlizations II (both DL & DA) with my Slow Start Mod.
                Finding Civ 4: Colonization too easy? Try my Ten Colonies challenge.

Comment

I never have had any hexadecimal errors, I think. (not entirely sure you mean with that)
                  I did used to have a problem with screen that draws slowly, the solution is to restart your computer in dos (not just use dos-prompt) but I no longer have that either since I began using windows 98.(I can play it normally in dos-prompt without problems)
                  DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

But...

I've got Windows 98 but it still has the slow drawing problem sometimes. If it comes up with the hex warning message and I ignore it, the drawing problem is sometimes no longer there. It might have something to do with the AWE 64 card and/or the 3D card (Voodoo3).
                    Avoid COLONY RUSH on Galactic Civlizations II (both DL & DA) with my Slow Start Mod.
                    Finding Civ 4: Colonization too easy? Try my Ten Colonies challenge.

Comment

Do you have the same problems when you restart in dos and play it there?

Comment

i also dl this game... but for some reason the game goes os fast and i cant take it all in at onec.. n e suggestions on how to slow it down?
                        Man causes all problems. No man, no problems. - Stalin

Comment

Try something like http://www.hpaa.com/moslo/.
                          - mkl

Comment

Working...
                          X