Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just got Axis & Allies - seems very unfair to axis...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What ever happened to A & A: Iron Blitz (the computer version)? I saw it on the shelves a while back - and presto - nowhere to be found. I heard it was better than the original computer A & A, and more scenarios are still being put out for this version.

Comment

I don't know - I'd heard that A&A was a bit like an advanced Risk. But if it's so inherently biased against the Axis... maybe it isn't as good a game. Both have the limiting factor that they rely on dice (making them less brilliant than, say, chess). But at least Risk gives everyone an equal go.

My next wargame is going to be Diplomacy. We played half a game once, and it was brilliant (it just got late and everyone wanted to go to bed). But I do want to give A&A more of a go first. Does the russia can't attack first turn rule really make the game even?

Oh - does anyone know where you can download A&A? I can't find it in the stores anywhere. Come to think of it, I'd like to download risk2, too, because although I own it, I want to play it on my laptop which doesn't have a CD drive. Played my first game of risk2 on the internet wednesday - that rocked! It had never worked before, but now I've reinstalled everything on the computer it seems to work again.

Comment

The Axis have to take the iniative right at the start if they want to win at all. Even with the no attack rule for the Russians during the first turn.

Last time I played as the Axis I tried something different from the Karelia at all cost! scenario. I created a 'dead zone' in Eastern Europe, smashed the British fleet in the med, invaded Turkey and bought me some transports in the med.

Those moves caused confusion all round. I was suddenly in the postion to link up with the Japs in Asia and clean out Africa. The only thing the Russians could was attack en masse (and be obliterated by me the next turn) or split up their forces (which was fine by me).

Lucky for me, the Japs managed to meet me later on. We cleaned up Russia and Asia afterwards...game was basically in the bag after round 4
        Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

personally i think winning with the axis is actually easier than winning with the allies. the allies have to be very coordinated if they want to win, it's almost easier for the allies if the same player controls all three countries. although it may seem hard for the germans at first, all they have to do is continue to fight the russians while piling alot of crap into africa, they can easily take the whole continent giving them the money advantage over russia. while the germans are doing that the japs can take over the pacific side of russia, the russians do not have the economic power to fight a two front war. the japs don't really have to worry about the americans because it's very easy to overwhelm america's pacific fleet on the first turn. more often than not the axis will control most of the eastern hemisphere while the uk sits on it's island with virtually no money and america sits on the other side of the globe, within the first few rounds the game is over.

ps axis & allies gets boring pretty quick seince it's the same game over and over again so I made a customized map where you get to choose where your unit's start and what units you want(under a certain budget) it's a pretty cool variation, it hold the same axis and allies game play while adding new strategy and ever changing variation.

Comment

CapTVK,

You got lucky your opponents were dumb. The Soviets could just ignore you while continue to buildup. The Brits could stomp over you in Africa and give you a hard time in the Med by wiping out your transports. The US could just beat the crap out of the Japanese like usual.

OW42,

Okay so you never had the original Axis and Allies. It was made by a small company called Nova. It had a fold-out paper map and cardboard pieces. The neat thing about this version is it has "advanced rules" which give each nation unique abilities. The Soviets could move their Industrial Complexes and Germans have SS Panzer tanks (+1 attack and defense).
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Okay, we're still playing the game I was talking about above... but I'm getting the crap kicked out of me. The germans are gonna destroy me next turn. He's going to have about 30 tanks, 20 inf, and fighters galore, and I'll have about 45 infantry and two RAF fighters. The situation is looking grim.

I am pretty sure my best move is to just get out my Risk board and play a game by meyself while everyone else finishes the game

Comment

Does that mean the UK and the US are both building a humongous force? If not your side is doing something wrong.
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

the US is attempting to finish off Japan while also giving me support... and god knows what the UK is doing. He has 6 transports, but I doubt he has enough men to move onto them!

Comment

If the Germans are concentrating on attacking the Soviets, the UK should sweep Africa and threaten to invade from North Africa. That will force Germany to deploy defenses, reducing the pressure on the Soviets. Meanwhile, the US can clear up Asia of Japanese influence, and either move into Soviet Far East or the UK depending on the situation.

Comment

Okay so you never had the original Axis and Allies.
                      Yes you would be correct then, UR. I never knew of a Nova version. Makes me want to go and find it somewhere on the net if I can. Sounds cool.

I had the original first Board game version put on market by Milton Bradley. May have been sometime in the 70's. I just don't recall actual dates for it was a long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by OldWarrior_42

Yes you would be correct then, UR. I never knew of a Nova version. Makes me want to go and find it somewhere on the net if I can. Sounds cool.
                        Why not? Providing the price is reasonable

Comment

Working...
                        X