Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:

Originally posted by tniem on 05-08-2001 04:17 PM

That makes sense and definitely a top seller. Disappointing though that when two of the top game creators of all time get together they can't come up with anything more inovative than a simulation of running a golf course. Oh well...
    it seems that you wont just design and run the courses, you'll play against your sims afterwards

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by MarkG on 05-08-2001 07:12 PM
      Originally posted by tniem on 05-08-2001 04:17 PM

That makes sense and definitely a top seller. Disappointing though that when two of the top game creators of all time get together they can't come up with anything more inovative than a simulation of running a golf course. Oh well...
      it seems that you wont just design and run the courses, you'll play against your sims afterwards

theres my dream -

you can just build "mass transit" al a civ2, or you can drill down and build a subway, like in simcity. You can manage city happiness, then go down and see the impact on your sims of more "luxuries"

IIUC Zeus tried to link civ style intercitycombat with simcity/caeaser3 style city builing.

Simville will somehow link up to sim city or down to the sims, or maybe both?

These would be ideal sid/will wright projects. simsociety.

LOTM

"A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Sid & Co have finally announced that it is Sim Golf so I guess I can say some things, but unfortunantly almost all of what I know is mentioned in the Gamespot preview.

Also, Imran, you doubted that I really knew about this ahead of time. Look at the number of pieces of advanced info I gave you - four. Guess what golfers say when teeing off . I couldn't say anything specific so I just put that thing in there so I could show you afterwards that I did indeed know about this ahead of time. The e-mail actually originally included 7 other things but they were even more vague and would not give you more assurance than just having four.
      "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
      "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
      "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
      "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...717147,00.html

Comment

Cool.
          Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
          Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Sounds interesting.

Quick question is Firaxis going to post anything on their site or is everything going to be at Maxis/EA?
            About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by tniem on 05-10-2001 08:02 PM
              Sounds interesting.

Quick question is Firaxis going to post anything on their site or is everything going to be at Maxis/EA?

My fault just went to the Firaxis site and found the stuff...

About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

I don't damn care how good it is I ain't gona buy a computer game based on the worlds most crappy game.
                whats next sid? sid mier's dollhouse??

shesh!

Without music life would be a mistake - Nietzsche
                So you think you can tell heaven from hell?
                rocking on everest

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Lord_Davinator on 05-10-2001 09:59 PM
                  I don't damn care how good it is I ain't gona buy a computer game based on the worlds most crappy game.
                  whats next sid? sid mier's dollhouse??

shesh!

Golf, the world's crappiest game? You obviously haven't seen the olympics in a number of years nor the former XFL.

And as for Sid Meier's Dollhouse, he should have come up with that a year or two ago before the Sims. It would have been just as successful and worth lots of money.

Comment

What I think everyone is missing, including myself is the contract that Firaxis has with EA. The companies agreed to three games. The first being Sid Meier's Gettysburg!, the second being SMAC, and the third most people expected to be the dino game.

When the dino game fell through, Firaxis was in a bit of a pickle. They needed to satisfy EA with a third game before EA would let Firaxis finish a game for a rival publishing house. So, EA talked with Sid and Jeff and they probably worked on a solution.

At first this would be the company making another game with hired help. But then Sid got this great idea and talked with EA. They were thrilled with a simulation golf title - after all they make a killing off of the simulation genre and sports games and now the two are going to be combined by a man whose name immediately sells thousands of copies. My guess is EA immediately bought on to the project and sent Sid to talk with Maxis and Will Wright. They hit it off and the project just devoloped.

Now everyone is happy. EA gets their third title that is destined to sell lots because of the above reasons. Maxis brings in money with the Sim name but has to do little of the work. Firaxis is out of the contractual bind they are in before Civ III comes out. And Sid, well Sid gets to work on a new game, a new project, something that he prefered to do then make the same game new.

So its a win-win solution for everyone both in terms of money and happiness. Now the question is whether both Civ III and Sim Golf will be worth buying and if so, then I guess its a win-win solution for us gamers, too.

Comment

There's already another similar game called Golf Resort Tycoon coming out in about a week. Check out http://www.golfresorttycoon.com/. At a glance the graphics look nicer.
                      Avoid COLONY RUSH on Galactic Civlizations II (both DL & DA) with my Slow Start Mod.
                      Finding Civ 4: Colonization too easy? Try my Ten Colonies challenge.

Comment

Ok, I have looked at the stuff on this golf tycoon game coming out from Activision and must say that I am not terribly impressed. Very few things about it. Not a single mention on the major gaming sites. In the end it just doesn't seem like it will be that popular or hurt what Sid and Will are trying to do. Now that doesn't mean Sim Golf will not be a flop, just that will this Golf Course Tycoon isn't that phenomenal.

Comment

Here's an idea for Sid's golf game. Part of managing the course would be to stomp out those predators that keep ruining the green. I mean all those pesky dinosaurs that keep running around that you often see on any old everyday golf course. Thus Sid effectively kills two games with one microchip and adds a real touch of realism to the game.
                          [This message has been edited by Russell (edited May 14, 2001).]
                          Avoid COLONY RUSH on Galactic Civlizations II (both DL & DA) with my Slow Start Mod.
                          Finding Civ 4: Colonization too easy? Try my Ten Colonies challenge.

Comment

I just told my girlfriend that Sid Meier, the guy behind the Civilization games, is going to make a game called SimGolf. Her response: "Ummm . . . no. Maybe if they had Civil War reenactments on the green, but . . ." She was not aware of Sid Meier's Gettysburg! or Antietam! She also thinks it would be neat if Meier's first name were Ad. She's cool.
                            "...it is possible, however unlikely, that they might find a weakness and exploit it." Commander Togge, SW:ANH

Comment

All SimGolf is is SimCountry Club with Sid Meier doing some playtesting and early design work, and then his name added for increased sales. It's a Maxis game with Sid getting his name attached for thinking of the game. Besides as the Gamespot preview said, its a small little game, not a huge concept like Civ of the Sims. It's a game just begging to be bargain-binned after the initial release period where people who will buy anything with Sid Meier or Sim in the title run out and buy it.

Comment

• Working...
                                X