• Show
Clear All

• Sid Meier's Sim Golf?

saw the news item in the misc section?

I don't want to comment either
    "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
    "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
    "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
    "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Golf? Blah. Whoopty doo. I enjoy golfing once in a while, but i can't see enjoying a golfing computer game. Im sure it will be great, as far as golfing games go, but it's just not my thing.
      -connorkimbro
      "We're losing the war on AIDS. And drugs. And poverty. And terror. But we sure took it to those Nazis. Man, those were the days."

-theonion.com

Comment

What's more unbelievable is Sid DOING a golf game!! Doesn't make much sense does it?
        If the voices in my head paid rent, I'd be a very rich man

Comment

He did CPU Bach and few saw that coming...
          "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
          "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
          "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
          "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Yikes, a golf game.

Bring out the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch!
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Well I would never normally buy a Golf game, so perhaps if Sid can weave some magic into the genre it just might attract a lot of new buyers into a small but solid niche market. I was struggling to think what on earth he could do to improve gameplay but the latest news makes more sense if he is helping to make the Sim Golfcourse Manager aspects fun, playable and challenging. A management sim sounds far more his kind of sphere.
              To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
              H.Poincaré

Comment

I always was sucker for Course Design games...
                Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

What kind of courses? Basket Weaving 101 perhaps?

BTW, are you tired of entering big long handles?
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I just don't understand exactly why this game makes sense in terms of the economics of it.

The big movers and shakers in sports games all are either from EA or have a major athlete behind them (or in the case of N64 Mario). A game designer doesn't seem to be one to have a draw for a sports game. I may be wrong but the Sid name probably won't sell to many copies for a sports game so the game will have to be fantastic to find a spot in an already crowded market. Just doesn't seem to make sense (shakes head in disbelief).
                    About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Well, I was talking about this a few months ago, and the one game Sid HASN'T done is sports. Perhaps this is to complete all the genres?

Sid Meier and Will Wright can get some bucks for the game though. We'll see (I'll buy it ).
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Well remember this is more a golf management game/sim rather than a golf sports game per se.

I don't know how many strategic aspects there would be in making and running a golf course but I suspect that Sid Meier will find something interesting to model.

I probably won't buy it but I think the trend of making sims covering a wider range of topics is a good one even if I don't like every single subject. A top-class golf management game will probably induce some older, more educated types to play computer games for the first time. Then they might get interested in strategy games in general and enlarge the market for high quality strategy games. That's a good thing ,right?

Comment

I did like all those ancient golf games but the ones nowadays are too complicated I just want to get out there and hit the bloody ball. I don't see how sid can improve on the golf game, I'm a bit skeptical as to the reliance of the news. And yes more players is better.(at least for us game-makers

Shane

------------------
                          " Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few "
                          Destruction is a lot easier than construction. The guy who operates a wrecking ball has a easier time than the architect who has to rebuild the house from the pieces.--- Immortal Wombat.

Comment

Think Rollercoaster Tycoon but instead of good rollercoasters and theme parks you have to design good golf courses and country clubs. Add a golf sim and you could have a great seller on your hands.

It's a pretty obvious idea. I have asked myself before why no-one has made one....
                            Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                            Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Snapcase on 05-08-2001 11:43 AM
                              Think Rollercoaster Tycoon but instead of good rollercoasters and theme parks you have to design good golf courses and country clubs. Add a golf sim and you could have a great seller on your hands.

It's a pretty obvious idea. I have asked myself before why no-one has made one....

That makes sense and definitely a top seller. Disappointing though that when two of the top game creators of all time get together they can't come up with anything more inovative than a simulation of running a golf course. Oh well...
                              About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Working...
                              X