IFeel Mouse and Optical mice in general

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IFeel Mouse and Optical mice in general

I've been thinking of upgrading to an optical mouse. I've read about the iFeel mouse by Logitech that has force-feedback in it and its sounds pretty cool. Anyone have it? Black and White is supposed to heavily support it.

Also, has anyone had trouble with Warcraft, AOE type games with an optical mouse?

Optical mouse recomendations?

I don't often play RTS games, but had a netwrok game of AOE2 yesterday with my optical, no problems. Interestingly Doom didn't work too well.
    The church is the only organisation that exists for the benefit of its non-members
    Buy your very own 4-dimensional, non-orientable, 1-sided, zero-edged, zero-volume, genus 1 manifold immersed in 3-space!
    All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.
    "They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara

Comment

I've been using a logitech ifeel mouse for about a week now and I love it. Even after this short a period of time, when I use a machine that doesn't have it, it feels weird. Black and White does a pretty good job of implementing it. In that game, since you can zoom the view to extremes, it's handy to know when you're over something your hand occludes (via the force feedback). Neat tech.

Jeff

Comment

Thanks Jeff, good to know a pro likes them. Now if I just had a computer that could handle B&W....Firaxis gonna use iFeel in CivIII? (not sure what it'd be good for though)

I've heard that FPS games don't handle opticals well. Any trouble with different mouspads/patterns and opticals.

[This message has been edited by SerapisIV (edited April 11, 2001).]

Comment

I heard that about that FPS problem too, but I've had no problems. I'm a TFC veteran and never had any problems with either the ifeel or my old MS explorer. You can't 'flick' the mouse as much with an optical, since if you lift the mouse from the table surface, the cursor will freeze. So, it may be a style thing.

Jeff

Comment

TFC ?

Doesn't matter much though, I'm not a big FPS fan, C&C Renegade might change that though, at least for one title.

Comment

I feel honoured - Jeffrey Morris posted in a topic I posted in!

Now could you get over to the SMAC forum and see if there's anything lying around that needs answering - I think I saw on or two threads. Besides most people there would really appreciate a visit.
              The church is the only organisation that exists for the benefit of its non-members
              Buy your very own 4-dimensional, non-orientable, 1-sided, zero-edged, zero-volume, genus 1 manifold immersed in 3-space!
              All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.

Comment

I don't know about force feedback, but I bought an Optical mouse last year and never looked back! I got so tired of cleaning that old thing, and my games would become almost unplayable within a week. I bought the cheapest (25$) mouse without a ball I could find. best purchase I ever made.
                I see ads for mice now with all sorts of abilities, but if it's not optical, I won't even consider it.
                Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
                ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

And having just read a B&W FAQ, there is one silver scroll quest which actually requires a feedback mouse.

Comment

Do any of you guys with optical mice use a mouse pad or is it no longer necessary? Oh and what kinds are good or doesn't matter?

Comment

I bought the first Microsoft optical when it hit the shelves a year and a half back and it works like a charm. I've never experienced any problems in games. A good surface to use it on is one that doesn't reflect to much. A mirror is bad as are polished, plastic material and such. Other than that, it doesn't really matter.

------------------
                      -bondetamp
                      --
                      When you have shot and killed a man you have in some measure clarified your attitude toward him. You have given a definite answer to a definite problem. For better or worse you have acted decisively. In a way, the next move is up to him.
                      -- R. A. Lafferty
                      -bondetamp
                      The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
                      -H. L. Mencken

Comment

I have an optical mouse from Logitech for a couple of months. In the first days it was perfect but after a short time some little problems started occuring. Some times the cursor on the srceen might flicker for a while whithout even touching the mouse. I am not sure though if the mouse pad is responsible, if it is faulty or something else. If someone has it and works perfect then I guess the problem resides somewhere else. It's a Mouseman with a weel.

Comment

Working...
                        X