Escape from Monkey Island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Escape from Monkey Island

Um, I'm back to playing, I don't know why I'm wasting my time posting this here. *drools*

Finished it!

Wow. Superb. Play it, everyone!

Comment

Let me get this straight. If i look at the date of your posts you finished this game in almost 24 hours!? Such a game cannot be much a challenge...

[This message has been edited by CapTVK (edited November 19, 2000).]
      Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

It took me about 20 hours in total to finish the game, but that does not mean I did not enjoy every single second of it... I'm reasonably good at point'n'click adventure games (or as the case may be, run'n'press adventure games), so the time period is not that strange. Playing an Adventure game can't really be thought of in conventional gaming terms, consider it somewhat like watching a very good comedy movie for ten hours straight, and enjoying every minute of it as much...

Comment

Did you use a gamepad? I'm not getting into the controls.

Comment

The controls are a bit tricky to get into, probably the worst part of the game. Two suggestions: either get used to using the PgUp and PgDn keys a lot, or switch over control to the numeric keypad. Oh, and reassign the quit screen key from O to something like minus on the Numeric Keypad. It's very handy, except when you think it means "Observe"... The ALT system is hopeless, and the controls are messy at best, but you can still get a good turn of speed if you use the shift key and turn around quickly by going backwards.

Comment

Hey, Snapcase,
              I read a bunch of reviews by now, but what's you're opinion on the ill famed monkey combat. I know you liked the rest of the game.
              from what I read, monkey Kombat is kind of like the insult swordfighting learned way back in "the secret of..." where you learn various responses and stuff.

but it's not as bad as they say, is it?
              Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
              ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

Sadly only the first Monkey Island got ported to the mac, but I did enjoy every minute of it...
                Are the other ones anyt good?
                No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

Henrik-
                  I am now trying to get "Curse" to work on my machine. I can tell you that #2:lechuck's revenge was also a lot of fun. the puzzles were really challenging, although on my second time through, I noticed clues that might have tipped me off, if I'd been watching. like in act one, largo drinks a green drink at the bloody nose bar before hocking a lugey at the wall, and to win the spitting contest, you have to mix the blue and yellow drinks together to get a green drink.
                  stuff like that.
                  I missed the insult swordfighting from "secret" (with insults written by Orson Scott Card).
                  It was so much fun, I'm thinking of writing a piece by piece walkthrough with all the mistakes you make, instead of the fast and dirty walkthrough I got off the internet.
                  but without the walkthrough, I couldn't have done monkey2, at least on hard mode.
                  I could (and did) do "secret" without resorting to a walkthrough. the hardest part was the recipe for monkey island voodoo stew.

I've heard "curse" is the best of the bunch. let's see if I can make it work.

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...

Comment

It was a really long time ago, but I remember being stuck at the place where you should simply use your compas to get the key for months (but other suposedly hard stuff I fixed allmost imidieatly)...
                    It was a wonderfull game, but the ones who did the mac port was stuppid enough to code thier own sound, so when the system sound manager was upgraded the game stopped working...
                    No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

OK, I got the demo for "escape"

Good Grief! How awkward can you get? with such fascinating graphics (which don't look as good as "curse") you return to the ancient days of keyboard control. and the other stuff, gak! I had to print out the helpfile and keep it next to me to figure out how to do stuff. I mean come on, CTRL-SHFT-PGDN to change between listed actions. I shudder to think of fighting with that for a whole game!!

on the other hand, it was kind of funny. I got to do a bit of insult arm wrestling with a guy in the SCUMM bar, and it brought back memories, though the insults weren't as good as in "secret"....

Comment

Working...
                      X