Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gone gold - dumb question

dumb question

what does "gone gold" mean, in reference to a game?

LOTM
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

When a game has "gone gold" it means all the work is done, the CD is mastered, the manual is complete, the box art is ready, etc., all that is left is to manufacture and ship the product in quantity.

John-SJ

Comment

thank you
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Anyone know where the term comes from?
        The church is the only organisation that exists for the benefit of its non-members
        Buy your very own 4-dimensional, non-orientable, 1-sided, zero-edged, zero-volume, genus 1 manifold immersed in 3-space!
        All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.
        "They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara

Comment

My guess is gold is used on the CD master.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I thought it meant that if had sold a certain number of copies.
            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by pchang on 04-02-2001 06:10 PM
              I thought it meant that if had sold a certain number of copies.

I think thats how its used in the music biz. Apparently its different in games. Thats whay i was confused.

Comment

In software publishing there is the 'Gold CD' which is the CD that will be the master from which all production copies will be made. I'm not positive but pretty sure that the 'Gold' here is like the phrase 'Gold Standard', the standard in this case is the finished CD.

John-SJ

Comment

Working...
                X