No announcement yet.

Civilization... not what you think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the best features of the game: war is deadly. You can't win by beating up other players. You can only win by being peaceful.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I've seen that boardgame in a toy store in Rostock. opened the box, had a look at the content... it appears quite complicated... not that I wouldn't like to play it, but I doubt I'll find any fellows to play that game with me, considering how complex that thing is

Comment

the 200th issue of CGW has a full version of a game called "advanced Civilization", which looks a lot like what you guys are talking about. unfortunately, I don't have any documentation and don't know what I'm doing.

just saying where you can get a full version of the PC game if you want...
        Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
        ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

Yes, the PC Game "Advanced Civilisation" is the computer port of the original boardgame. Without access to the rules you are going to have a hard time, because it keeps all the odd rules. The AI is not too shabby so it can make a reasonable opponent. Better than some human players because it cannot be bluffed into accepting you are not really winning

If you are really keen and can't find them online anywhere else, I could try and explain them.
          To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
          H.Poincaré

Comment

"Yes, it is an old Avalon Hill Classic."

Just for the record Avalon Hill bought the game from Hartland Trefoil a UK company that invented the game. I have the original. I expect that AH mostly just repackaged it.

" The manual clearly states it has evolved from railroad tycoon
            and describes the proces."

Also I have read somewhere that Sid Meier did base his game on the board game and I don't see how that can be other than true because the similarities are too great. There is no logical design relationship between Civilization and Railroad Tycoon. I seem to have mislaid my original manual but are you sure it is not more about the historical sequence or the use of graphics than the game design that it talks.

It is quite possible that Railroad Tycoon was based on a game called "1829", also developed by Hartland Trefoil and possibly the best board game ever devised. However I have no evidence that he ever saw that game and there are many other railway board games.
            It is very dangerous to leap a chasm in two bounds

Comment

Mmm.... something.

Anyone know where I could get the Civilization board game in Australia?

And where I could download the abandonware computer version and rules?

Comment

Bump - please?

Comment

Hello Jeremy,

This was the best I could find on obtaining the "board game" Civilization.

----- Quoted from http://www.lilback.com/civilization/ah/board.html

"....Civilization costs around $30, and Advanced Civilization is an add-on set that costs an additional $30. I
                  would highly recommend the Advanced version, but there are some people who prefer the original
                  version. You should be able to find both versions at your local gaming store (who should be able order
                  it if they don't have it in stock). You can also order it direct from Avalon Hill. Their phone numer is (USA) 410-254-9200 ...."

Hope this helps!!

Comment

Thanks quinns - but does anyone know where in Australia I could get it? Our dollar's worth less than 50c US at the moment, which is insane and makes everything from the US very expensive indeed.

And anyone know where to download the free advanced civilization game?

Comment

IMO, civilization is the greatest multiplayer boardgame I've ever played.

Play mechanism is simple but challenging, with lost of fun in the trading stuff. Basically, the game centres around trade, acquiring advance, city planning and calamity control(sound like civ2?).

Advanced civilization add-on is a must-have if you happen to see it. The add-on creates more advances, calamities, trade goods, and have a somewhat different rules governing trade.

There is also a Western Mediterranean add-on map featuring Spain and Britain. The extension map give you a feel very differnet from the East Med's city-rich terrain. Unfortunately it would be very difficult to find, even second-handed.

The biggest drawback is that you have to gather some people(the more the better, but never less than 4) for a whole day to play the game. Expect the game to play for 1.5 hrs for every player, thus a 6 player-game requires roughly 9 hrs. I once have the lucky experience collecting 8 people in the game, for a good 12 hrs to finish it.

Yet the investment is worthwhile and you could scarcely have more gun than that!

Comment

Working...
                      X