Civilization... not what you think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilization... not what you think

I heard there's a board game called Civilization. has anyone here played it? how different is it from the PC game civilization?

Yes, it is an old Avalon Hill Classic.
    The PC game is based on this boardgame.
    But there are a lot of differences:
    The map is the mediteranean sea. Time is stone age until 250 BC. Population grows and you may found a crude kind of city. It is 100% multiplayer - you trade the trade-goods and even desaster-cards with other players. No military units, your population coins do the invasions. Technology must be bought and is the key to victory.
    Lots of fun, but you need at least 4 player, better 8 player.
    This old boardgame is the reason I bought the PC-game.

------------------
    For those who fight for it, life has a flavour the sheltered never know.

Comment

do you know where in Germany I can get it? did you buy it those days? if yes, how much did you pay?

Comment

To buy the Civ boardgame is an easy task.
        Producer of the german version is Piatnik, Mönchengladbach 02161/177940.
        I saw this game in several stores even in department stores.
        But it is expensive, something around 80 DM.

Comment

thank you! I'll look for it! I don't have too much money but 80DM aren't that expensive... but.. we are talking about a board game, aren't we? well, if I see it anywhere for a bit less I'll probably... look at the package and then say "nah, nothing for me..."

perhaps I'll buy it... perhaps

Comment

When you are a dedicated civer and you see the package - you will buy it.
            It is a holy reliquary!

Comment

Is this the same as Advanced Civilisation, a PC game released by Avalon Hill and now abandonwazez?

Comment

Lord Silvi - can you count me (some of) the store(s) where you saw that... I checked some and couldn't find it... although they have some Avalon hill Board Games, like Diplomacy

Comment

This stores may order Civilization for you.
                  But remember you need at least 3 other players! Better 6.
                  Visit the Spielwarenmesse in Essen in Oct. or Nov. Meet me there. They have dozens of this game.
                  Once I saw Civilization (board game) at Kaufhof.

Comment

well, I already went to a Kaufhof (actually it's Galeria Kaufhof) and they didn't have Civilization there...

I could order the game at bol.de but I'd have to pay about DM 69,90 there... is that the usual prize?

Spielwarenmesse in Essen? when will that be?

Comment

Andz
                      Buy it at BOL. Der Preis ist heiss.

Spielwarenmesse is Spielemesse, my mistake.
                      I am not sure when exactly it is. But I`ll let you know it.
                      At this fair they present and sale mostly boardgames.
                      There are a lot of shops with old ones. Once I saw an old SPI classic: "After the Holocaust" At least 20 years old, used, and priced 250,- DM!!! *heul*

Comment

oops! the producer of the German version is Piatnik... BOL says the same, but today I went to a Toy Shop and asked them whether they could order the game... I told them it would be from Avalon Hill...

Did you buy it? If yes, how much money did you spend on it?

Comment

I hope it is a good game, 80 DM is a lot of money at least to me

But to set it straight: civilization is _not_ based on the Avalon Hill game. The manual clearly states it has evolved from railroad tycoon and describes the proces.

Comment

AH's Civilization is excellent if you can find at least 3 other players. It has simple mechanics and a good depth.
                            [This message has been edited by Urban Ranger (edited September 25, 2000).]
                            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I love Civilization -the board game. In fact, I have it around somewhere still (albeit with many of the tokens missing 'cos my friends were sore losers). I was introduced to it in 1986 by my English teacher. I played it for close to seven years after that.

I liked its balance of conquest, expansion, trading and science development.

Like somebody else mentioned, it was also the inspiration for me starting out on the pc game.

Comment

Working...
                              X