No announcement yet.

Which Single Player FPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just got Swat 3 Elite Edition, and it's one hell of a game.
    If you like realistic tactical shooters, this is the one to get.
    It's quite an experience to play a police officer, as you can't just go around shooting everything.
    The missions are excellent, with extensive briefings and believeable everyday locations.

Oh, and if you like watching series like "Cops", I guarantee you'll love Swat 3!

"On this ship you'll refer to me as idiot, not you captain!"
    - Lone Star

Comment

Well I got NOLF. It's definitely an excellent game.

I probably end up getting Deus Ex, after I finish with NOLF. Giants Im going to wait for a technology demo, to determine whether or not it will run well on my system.

I just thought I'd say a few things about Jedi-Knight. It was without doubt a great game, but the AI was absolutely wretched. I mean you could kill practically everyone with just your light sabre and take only minimal damage, either that or snipe them from a distance with your crossbow. The bosses were much better tho esp. Jerec.

System Shock 2 has thus far escaped my purchases. Is it really worth going back and playing, and is it still for sale?
      Sophanthro was deleted

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by JC Denton on 12-27-2000 10:31 PM
        I don't even know ...both games are so good
        I would suggest Deus Ex if u have a lot of free time cuz it's a hell of a long game, it's hard and it takes a lot of time to figure out how to get to the end of the mission (u know like bypassing guards, patrolling bots and cameras)
        And the engine is not as fast as the NOLF's one but that's probably mainly because most of the time you will find yourself in the middle of big cities
        NOLF's engine is much more colorful (as opposed to Deus Ex's apocalyptic future) but it's set in a completely different world (more of a 60's-spy-movie style) and it's kinda easier to play
        I felt like it's a mix of Deus Ex and a little bit Quake III
        And by the way - Deus Ex has some RPG elements so if you want to consider that it's a nice bonus
        [This message has been edited by JC Denton (edited December 27, 2000).]

Not a ringing endorsement of Deus Ex from a guy with a handle of JC Denton!!! (FYI, that is the name of the lead character in the game).

I'm playing Deus Ex (copied ). Great stuff! GOt some RPG elements that can make the game highly interesting in terms of what you can do. Also has a WONDERFUL story line!

And guys, it ain't a light saber in Deus Ex, it is the Dragon.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

quote:

System Shock 2 has thus far escaped my purchases. Is it really worth going back and playing, and is it still for sale?

Absolutely, on all counts!

It's currently selling at CompUSA for $15.

The atmosphere is somewhere between Alien and Aliens. The developers went out of their way to provide a truly claustrophobic envirvironent, complete with shadows and odd noises to keep you on edge (it shares the Thief engine, if you've played that). As for thinking, there are psi- and technical skills you can develop (yes, develop!) to get out of jams, and since you are almost always low on ammo, shooting your way out of situations tends to be tactic of last resort.

In short, standard FPS tactics will get you very dead very quickly.

It is unlike any other FPS I have ever played.
          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Thanks. I'll check it out, even though the money isn't a big concern. Not because I'm rich but because, I don't have time, so it takes me a while to finish a game. Which saves alot of money.
            Sophanthro was deleted

Comment

Deus Ex and SWAT 3.

For Deus Ex, you better not be very easily disturbed by ideas.

Comment

Oh yeah, SS2 was brilliant. Come to think of it, now that someone's mentioned Aliens - so was Aliens vs Predator.

I got NOLF the other day, and it's just brilliant. Love the falling out of the plane level, and the henchmen discussing propensity for evil amongst themselves...

Comment

Hey Imran Siddiqui, what do you mean by that?
                  This game rocks but I don't have enough time to play through the entire game and I am also pretty new to the FPS genre. At the time I was choosing my screenname JC Denton just sounded sooo cool...

Comment

You haven't played through the game yet? What's your problem? I've never been as interested in a FPS as I was to that.

Comment

It is very difficult to choose between System Shock 2 and Deus Ex! They're both superb games with interesting plots and challenges throughout the length of the game. If SS2 is now running for only $15 maybe you can afford both!
                      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

One thing to note about Deus Ex is that there aren't a lot of fan additions to the game, and no very good addon levels. I don't know is System Shock has a lot of addons by fans but if it does you might as well get it since it will have higher replayability. By the time you're sick of it Deus Ex will be cheaper and there wil be a few mods out.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Eternal on 02-27-2001 09:55 PM
                          One thing to note about Deus Ex is that there aren't a lot of fan additions to the game, and no very good addon levels. I don't know is System Shock has a lot of addons by fans but if it does you might as well get it since it will have higher replayability. By the time you're sick of it Deus Ex will be cheaper and there wil be a few mods out.

Actually there are quite a few multplayer levels available for Deus Ex, and even 5 or 6 single player levels. You will need the MP patch and the DX loader to play them though. I have yet to play any of the user made levels because I haven't been able to download the 30+ meg MP patch with my stinking AOL connection. There should be a fan mission page up for System Shock 2 someday soon. The hold up has been the unavailability of a loader for fan missions.

In general it appears that user created Single Player levels are becoming a thing of the past. Half-Life was the last major game produced for which there was the capability and the enthusiasm for user created SP levels. I blame the people who made Unreal Tournament. The Unreal SP level community was thriving right up until the day that UT hit the shelves. After that there hasn't been a single Unreal Sp level put up for download. We'll wait and see whether games like Deus Ex and System Shock 2 will turn out to be too complex for people to make large numbers of SP levels.

Comment

quote:

Actually there are quite a few multplayer levels available for Deus Ex, and even 5 or 6 single player levels. You will need the MP patch and the DX loader to play them though. I have yet to play any of the user made levels because I haven't been able to download the 30+ meg MP patch with my stinking AOL connection. There should be a fan mission page up for System Shock 2 someday soon. The hold up has been the unavailability of a loader for fan missions.

There are about a dozen MP maps, and some of them are good -But I don't play MP anyway. There are about 6 SP levels, but only 2 of them are actually playable. They are also very short.

There aer a large number of SP mods in development for DX, but god knows how many will actually be finished. I'm sure you know how it is. I'm also working on a set of levels, so I keep busy while I'm waiting. I really like this game.

Comment

Well one of these days I'll get around to downloading the Deus Ex patch, which I think is required to play any of the add-ons, and then I'll be able to play your level if you finish and post it. Unfortunately I'm restricted to a 28K modem connection now, as our local cable company seems to be unable to provide the quality of connection needed for high speed access. I've been thinking of submitting a petition to the county supervisors to have their monopoly revoked.

Comment

Funny thing is tha the patch also screws up the game in several areas. For example, it doesn't recognize when you complete some mission objectives. And this is a problem because it keeps trying to play a datalink message so you can't save until you save the area you're in. (This is a real bugger when you just send the signal to the NSF in the warehouse)

Comment

Working...
                                X