Cheating Computer Players Really Piss Me Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh yeah, reload.

Can't say if it's a cheat or just a way to neutralise computer players' cheats. I guess it depends on how it's used.
    [This message has been edited by Urban Ranger (edited January 03, 2001).]
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I recently played Colonization again, and I used the reload a lot. The old style of combat with no hit points really forced you to cheat. I mean losing veteran dragoons to unarmed indians in open terrain, please!
      Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

I think there are several cheat modes by the computer players in MoO 2. As far as I can tell, there is at least a "regular" and an "extra strength". Occasionally, when I start, I notice that I have a very good home system. However, this just indicates trouble, as the computer players are given more stuff than usual to begin with. I don't know what they have, but they tend to have colonized several star systems (good ones with mineral rich planets) when I send out my first colony ship. I wouldn't know this other than by a stroke of luck. On an exploration trip a scout of mine found a hero with the Galatic Lore ability early in the game, which enabled me to watch how the computer players expand. My conclusion is they cheat far worse than normal. Also, in this mode, many competiting races are given abilities (and disadvantages) above and beyond the list in the manual.

I wish they tell me these things
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Try playing as omnescient a few times to get you really depressed. Then you can watch the computer develop from turn 1
          Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

That bad, eh? Blah!

How do you get around "super cheat mode" anyway? Nothing I do seems to be fast enough
            [This message has been edited by Urban Ranger (edited January 04, 2001).]

Comment

I usually take a telepathic race. A cruiser costs a little more than a colony ship (~550 - 500) but can take any number of colonies. If I can survive until I get the tech that I need to build my first cruiser (you need certain techs to make the cruiser able to destroy enemy battleships and starbases) and actually get it built I am fine.

If everybody but me gets planetary defenses I am in trouble. I don't usually play creative, it's more of a challenge to play without.

Comment

Well yes, one of my cruisers did destroy two enemy battleships once. That was in regular cheat mode though, not the super cheat mode.

Comment

Hi Urban Ranger,

I dont think AI cheates much in Master of Orion II.
                  On which level do you play , on the highest two the
                  comp players have unfair advantages for their race
                  (additional race bonus , look in the statistic window
                  to see that) . That is why i play the game on average
                  level , the comp players have no additinal bonuses
                  but still play to the best of their abilities .
                  How would you know that exactly which planets are
                  reachable for other players , depends on tech and
                  there are wormholes which they may use as well although
                  they do not often .
                  Maybe you have played against the Mrshhan , it is very
                  easy for them to have a large fleet right from the
                  beginning .
                  Note that there are two (or more ?) techs that increase
                  command points , and that heroes may increase command
                  points as well.
                  What i want to say is , the AI is not bad in this game
                  it is for example much better as in civ II .
                  I have to admit in one point , comp players in
                  Master of Orion II never lose their ships sending
                  them to the Guardian or space monsters , they indeed
                  seem to know that from the beginning .

Comment

Hi Martin

On average level the computer players are quite lousy. You should win readily with no problems once you have played a few games and figure out optimized build path (for your style) and ship configurations.

I say the computer players cheat because they do. I have seen them colonizing planets further than they could reach since I knew they don't have the tech (spies, estimation) and wormholes (found out eventually).

They also start off with unfair advantages on the higher levels

Comment

Garth,

I tried your method yesterday and the buggers all had ground defenses! Ugh! I eventually had to start building large warships like in a normal game. I also found out that blockade kills 50% of your production (and food).

Comment

Ground defenses suck You can build missile ships to take them out, I usually build cruisers or destroyers for that purpose. But that gets a little costly.
                        edit: I meant it sucks to run into ground defences in the early game, not that they are useless.

Impossible level is tough, hence the name I usually relent and take creative if I am playing at that level.

Martin, the computer doesn't exactly play it's hardest at average level. They are less likely to war with you at that level. Meaning you can pick and choose your wars and eliminate the computer players one at a time.
                        [This message has been edited by Garth Vader (edited January 08, 2001).]

Comment

Absolutely right, cheaters should be banned for life...I mean everytime a cheater appears when I'm playing Counter-Strike online, my entire Half-Life.exe crashes and I have to reboot. It's frustrating...

Comment

I would like to know how the Silicoids manage to build 20 battleships in the time span that I built 2, given that:
                              [*]I have better production tech[*]He has only twice my population but on three times the number of planets[*]Improved his tech (his new ones are better than the old ones I destroyed initially)[*]I have already destroyed a dozen of his battleships[/list]

How the hell can a computer player build all those ships and maintain them? 20 battleships is 120 command points, not to mention his plethora of transport ships. It should have gone broke long ago!

Cheat like that is really disgraceful.

Comment

AIs Cannot Cheat. Period.

If the AI could cheat it would be as smart as us. If it was as smart as us it wouldn't need to cheat.

Have you ever converted a build to a wonder in Civilization, landed a caravan or three and then switched back? Have you ever planted an
                              archer on a mountain that had no strategic value because you know the AI will burn tons of resource attacking it? That's cheating! You are taking advantage of the game engine to subvert the design intention. You are spoiling the game for yourself (unless that's how you get your fun).

And the best cheat of all (because its designed for you) : you get advance warning when the AI is about to complete a wonder; bingo! expend a few barracks and get it built now.

Okay, the AI sometimes uses different rules to achieve its goals. That's because its primary role is to give you a worthwhile challenge. And, yes, I agree it is unsatisfactory when it becomes too obvious.
                              And, yes, of course we want better AI. But when you consider how much more complex Civ or Moo are than chess, and look at the thousands of people (and forty years) it has taken to develop smart chess programs, then you have got to be impressed by what has already been achieved in the best games. We can do without the moral indignation and constructively identify areas for improvement instead.

If you think AI is easy try asking Sid Meier or Norm Koger. Or try to do it yourself. If you're right, you will be whisked away by the military and set the task of conquering the world for real.
                              It is very dangerous to leap a chasm in two bounds

Comment

I will just make an example of strong AI: Warlords series.

This is one of the ares where Open Source shines. If a pool of routines are freely available, people don't have to re-invent the wheel every time.

Another thing. Is bending the rules cheating? Maybe. Is taking advantage of a flaw cheating? Hell no. If you consider otherwise, then it's not advisable to use your brain too much when playing against computer players, since they decidedly have much weaker "brains" than you, which is a flaw in itself.

Comment

Working...
                                X