No announcement yet.

Planetarion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Every ship serves its purpose in the game...

The best ships seem to be WarFrigs, Tarantulas, and Ghosts. (forgetting A-pods of course )

Comment

I used to play, but I quit this summer. The game was fun, but I had to ask myself a question regarding my life. Did I really want to sit on IRC 24/7 to keep in touch with the alliance (TE)? Did I really want to set my alarm-clock to 0300, to get up and make that all-important news scan? Did I really want to log in every two hours, so that if I was attacked I could rally a defence or flee? And, most importantly, would I be able to keep playing and still keep myself from doing this?

The answer was 'no' on all those questions, and so I terminated my account (after some FURY-bastard plundered my planet ).

It was fun while it lasted, though...

------------------
      -bondetamp
      but you may call me sir.
      -bondetamp
      The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
      -H. L. Mencken

Comment

TLK,

Interceptor - cheap cannon fodder, but useful for distracting spiders attention away from apods

Torpedo - in large numbers can kill frigates, but a waste of crystal which could be better spent on spiders

War frigate - great all round ship, good atkilling interceptors, spiders and cargo ships

Destroyer - good for taking out large ships, vunerable to frigates and interceptors

War Crusier - great at taking out frigates, they get eaten by destroyers usless they are covered well

Battleship - cost a fortune, very strong but can be destroyed by destroyers, good at taking out all kind of ships

Spider - great for blocking astropods (get loads of these) destroyed by frigates, use in large numbers for defence

Phantoms - clocked interceptor, can't be seen by enemy, fairly useless in comnbat, a waste of crystal

Dagger - Emp (spider, emp turret) resistant interceptor, which makes it useless for me (I use interceptors to let spiders block them, taking away pressure on my apods), good in some situatiuons

Ghost - great for taking out larger ships, quite difficult to destroy, but costs a lot of crystal

hope that helps.

Bodtetamp,

I'm in TE as well (a fleet commander no less ), and dookie I think is in CpV (our arch rivals).

Dookie,

we (my galaxy) are catching you up, you are only 8 places ahead of us

------------------
        Windows 98 (windoze) a 32 bit extention of a 16 bit graphical shell for an 8 bit operating system, origalanly coded for a 4 bit processor by a 2 bit company who can't stand one bit of competition!

The United States is a superpower undergoing the difficult transition necessary to becoming a banana republic - Lincon
        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Hehe, I was in FURY, it was great fun plundering all those TE planets... but like you I was wasting too much time and effort on the thing.

Comment

hehe fury tried to attack our 30 mil guy last round, their 230000 ships met 285000 ships, which we somehow got from our galaxy, 29:22, 29:16 and TE, about half of them pulled after tick 1 leaving the rest to be nicked and destroyed by our fleets, they never made a serious attempt on our galaxy again

You should rejoin Iain its better this round and there are plaenty of stupid people who leave their roids unguarded
            "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

so have only 3 PA players on apolyton, or do we have any that haven't come out of the closet yet

Comment

C0ckney:
                I agree with you on the ship power. I used to have a couple of phantoms because I, ahem, was in the Phantom wing of TE. I also had quite a few daggers, because, as I usually went right to that tech, dagger was the first ship-type I got that targeted a-pods. A valuable trait, I am sure you agree.

Maybe if I didn't have all those useless phantoms, Northern LIghts wouldn't have kicked my ass.

------------------
                -bondetamp
                but you may call me sir.
                -bondetamp
                The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
                -H. L. Mencken

Comment

So, uh... is it worth joining? It looks kind of cool, but how exactly do you play?
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Well I'm currently being attacked by 7000 ships

And being defended by an additional 12000

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui on 12-12-2000 02:31 PM
                      So, uh... is it worth joining? It looks kind of cool, but how exactly do you play?

Ahem, this is from memory, so be gentle.

The basics:
                      You are the sovereign ruler of a planet. Think of it as an alternate anding to civ or SMAC . You get resources from the many asteroids cirkling your planet, and with these you build facilities, research and an army. With research you can build facilities and with facilities you can build ships. With ships you can make war against other planets and steal their 'roids. With more 'roids you get more resources to build more facilities, research and ships.(the tech-tree is pretty short, so you'll find yourself building mostly ships pretty soon) This is basically the strategic part of the game. Fairly simple and straigth forward.

What makes PA a really cool game, though, is the community around it.

As a planet you are a member of a galaxy of 25. These are usually rather close, and most strong galaxies have abolished internal warfare. This makes sense as your gal-mates have a very short travel time to your planet, and will therefore almost allways be able to help if/when you are attacked. Your galaxy is one of many collected in clusters. These are a lot less formal, and even though some exceptions appear, successful cluster-alliances are rare. Cluster-alliances make sense as well, as the travel time between galaxies within a cluster is considerably shorter than between clusters. If you're attacked by someone from another cluster, you get a few hours extra to alert your friends within your cluster.

There are currently between 150 and 200 clusters in the universe.

There are also big alliances that goes across clusters. These are often people who knows each others from outside the game, and wants to continue within the game. Some are people with common interests (like the numerous nationality-alliances, and the anti-WaC-alliances). It is often a good idea to have an alliance to back you up in time of need, and it is nice to have some friends to go on raids with.

Oh, well, Sopranos's on TV. I don't know if this was halfway coherent, but just join and ask if you wonder about anything.

------------------
                      -bondetamp
                      but you may call me sir.
                      -bondetamp
                      -H. L. Mencken

Comment

I play! Started maybe a week or 2 ago. Galaxy 74:12, score 226,917 with 30 'roids. We appear to be quite a pants galaxy, but at least I haven't been attacked yet.

An Apolyton Alliance would be cool.

------------------
                        The best way to solve a Differential Equation is to write down the answer - Prof. Gough
                        The church is the only organisation that exists for the benefit of its non-members
                        Buy your very own 4-dimensional, non-orientable, 1-sided, zero-edged, zero-volume, genus 1 manifold immersed in 3-space!
                        All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.
                        "They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara

Comment

Thread moved to the "other games" forum from the OTF.

Thread Moved!

------------------
                          Ming
                          CivII & Off-Topic Forum Moderator
                          Ming@Apolyton.net
                          Keep on Civin'
                          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I just logged on and fooled around a bit...

Name: The Lord John
                            Planet: Zamadras
                            Galaxy: 65:7:19

I'm building a Mining Center and am researching Quantum Mechanics. As it seems that I can't do anything for a few more hours but wait for my stuff to build/research, I'm calling it a night. Is this SOP?
                            [This message has been edited by JohnT (edited December 12, 2000).]

Comment

I also just joined:

Lord Protector Siddiqui of the Planet GoldWater.

60:17:14 (God knows what all that means ).
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I'm in as well, Mad Lord Snapcase of Planet L, 88:1:8. It's a crap galaxy.

Comment

Working...
                                X