No announcement yet.

What's the BEST of all CIVS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have CivI, II, and CTP yet I'm still playing CivII. CTP's interface takes some getting used to (it isn't TOO bad once you remember not to click too hastily and send your units in the wrong direction) but until it has some decent scenarios, I'll stick to my trusty II...

Comment

i have civ2, ctp, smac, imperialism 2 and age of empires and the game that is still spend the most time on is civ2. it amazes me that after playing the game for 2 years i can still spend a whole day on it. i just can't get into the smac space thing as much, i can relate to a nuclear missile a lot more than a planet buster, but if it had an earth mod than i might pick smac

Comment

i have civ2, ctp, smac, imperialism 2 and age of empires and the game that is still spend the most time on is civ2. it amazes me that after playing the game for 2 years i can still spend a whole day on it. i just can't get into the smac space thing as much, i can relate to a nuclear missile a lot more than a planet buster, but if it had an earth mod than i might pick smac

Comment

Comment

It is very helpful indeed to be able to read the same message 3 times, Dabods!

Comment

[hisses to Horace] SMAC, so far. Civ2 was great, but the endless variety of games in SMAC (try using a new workshop theme each time) is brilliant.

Cheers,
              Tim

------------------

Numquam turbae misceri
              Numquam turbae misceri

Comment

I wasted thousands of hours by playing Civ, even more thousands with Civ 2.
                If the interface and the diplomacy of CTP were not so ugly it would have overpowered both. But this way it gets only the last place in my top ten.
                #1 is Civ 2, there is no doubt!

Peter

------------------
                3DTT - the 3D sequel to Transport Tycoon - demo 4.0 now available on http://www.digitalprojects.com/way-x
                Path of Mankind. Turnbased Civ-like game - demo 15 coming soon

3DTT - 3D Transport, Traffic and Economy simulation - Alpha 7.0 coming soon http://www.digitalprojects.com/way-x

Comment

I have CTP, Civ2, Civ, and SMAC.
                  I have to say I were deeply dissapointed with
                  SMAC. The feeling just isn't there.
                  That thing with the different factions is bad. The believers suck and unversity rules.
                  And SMAC has horrible graphics. Civ looks better.
                  Civ2 is just an upgrade of Civ, but it's still a great game. CTP is better than Civ2, mainly because of the greatly enhanced combat system. But Civilization still is the best.
                  It just gives me that "just a minute more" -feeling. And it runs smooth on any PC. :-)

------------------
                  "All rise in the presence of Dark Helmet!"
                  "All rise in the presence of Dark Helmet!"

Comment

Civ2- was good for it's time but now it's to 0ld.
                    Civ1- no way
                    SMAC to different
                    C:CTP i think is most addictive and gets my vote anytime.

Comment

What about Freeciv ? (www.freeciv.org)

------------------
                      Rather than Love, than Money and than Fame, give me Truth.
                      Rather than Love, than Money and than Fame, give me Truth.

Comment

I'm 99% sure it is dead.
                        "I'm really an american right-winger, i love the army and hate a forigners, communists, anarchists and ******s. I also belive in god and the american constitution."
                        -Kropotkin
                        I invented the question mark.
                        -Imran Siddiqui
                        TNapoleon
                        Former Resident SidGamer
                        Current Pandemonio.ORG Webmaster
                        FOREIGN ADVISER - People's Republic of Off-Topic (PROT)

Comment

Colonization! was a great game, too bad the combat model was so bad. And of course the very realistic fact that taking out an opponent early tended to be a sure means for victory. And it was waaay more realistic than ImpII- you could conquer a lot like the Spanish, but you could only colonize so much, and to do it with quality meant less territory (like the English). In ImpII the entire New World is routinely colonized, conquered, controlled, and exploited by 1750.
                          All syllogisms have three parts.
                          Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Comment

Civ2 is still the best (shame of AI)
                            It's a pity for CTP for such flaws so I can't call it a Civ3
                            SMAC is interesting but it's a "little bit" borring for my taste (civ2 is still the 'cleanest' strategy)

------------------
                            submitted by Vanja
                            submitted by Vanja

Comment

I have civ 2 and SMAC. I'm not sure about the comparison between Smac and CtP, but I don't even need to play Smac to say this for certain:

CIV II STILL RULES !!!!!

Although I am excited about the greater variety of Smac, and some of the improvements, such as limiting the power of the diplomatic type of unit, the 4 ways of winning Smac really still boil down to 2 (trancendance and either conquest or the ability to conquer easily without actually going to the trouble), the graphics are inferior, the interface is too slow and complicated, and the caravan replacement is a stunted version of the original. Although I like the ability to use a crawler to caravan minerals and energy from one city to another it just isn't the same as being able to ship a caravan to a forign city half way around the world for wealth untold.

CtP has also stunted the caravan thing, making navies only useful for warfare once the world is pretty much explored, and taking away an important part of the game.
                              Also combat in ctP has been adulterated. I won't go into it; you all know what I am talking about.

Whereas both SMAC and CtP add some fun things to the game, it doesn't make up for some of the things they take away.

To truely improve on civ 2, I would suggest the following:

1. The interface of Civ 2 is pretty darn good. Don't screw with it much. I like to be able to click on my city and have a visual image of my market place, temple, etc. I don't want to click here to see a list, and then have to read through it. Maybe make it easier to move stacks of units, or simplify it in other ways, but don't mess up what's good about the interface.

2. Caravans, and the trade bonus, are a big part of the game. Sure, add to the abilities of the lowly camel, but don't take abilities away. I didn't do anything to you, so why would you want to take trade bonuses away from me?

3. Add variety without taking variety away.

4. Do something to play balance those freaking dip units.

5. If you must change the combat engine, don't go back to the itiotic civ I / CtP system that allows a phalanx a reasonable chance to take out a battle ship.
                              The camel is not a part of civ.
                              THE CAMEL IS CIV !!!!
                              SAVE THE CAMEL !!!!!!

Comment

No doubt CivII is the greatest. Its incredibly customizable and I have spent more hours playing civII than I have breathing (well, maybe not quite that many...)
                                "Kad pozelis radit, sidi, pricekaj, vidit ces da ce te proc."
                                (When you feel like working, wait, it will pass)

Comment

Working...
                                X