No announcement yet.

What's the BEST of all CIVS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also played Civ 1 on both PC's and Mac, and have to agree the graphics were a lot better on the Mac. But I'm not sure the AI was better than Civ 2, I think it's the same. As a programmer I can't imagine they would take existing code and make it worse. Even if the AI was better, the improvements of Civ2 (new units, better diplomancy, etc.) make it hard for me to believe anyone would still prefer to play Civ 1.
    yes

Comment

Dino,

I'm a programmer, too, and I wonder how much it really was possible for them to re-use the AI code from Civ1 in Civ2. I mean, so much other stuff changed (new units, new diplomacy options, new terrain, etc. etc.) that I can see that reusing the existing code might have been nearly impossible.

Although benedetti had a good point, that maybe it was all those hours spent playing Civ1, learning the game, that made the Civ2 AI seem dumber. But I don't know...
      Is it just me, or are these signatures really annoying? I mean, why do I want to keep seeing the same thing every time someone posts? And don't you hate those really long signatures that take up a whole bunch of space?

For no reason?

Come on, I say we ban signatures!!

Comment

Seeing as I own all three TRUE civ games, and SMAC, I would have to rate Civ2 first (best game of all time), SMAC in a close second, Civ1 third (getting old, but wicked for its time), and Fourth would have to be CTP (I wasen't too thirlled with this game)
        Hugalaugaualaugulauagualauauagaualalllguglallalugl ua!!!!!
        -napolean

Comment

1)CTP
          2)SMAC
          3)Civ2
          4)Civ1

But all are great!

Comment

Colonization is #1, bar none.

Does anyone know how to fix the hall of fame bug?

-- Hugh

Comment

Is imperialism a civ game ?
              DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Have to go with civ2. Easily the most addictive. I still play it occasionally and lose track of all time. When playing smac I actually look at the time occasionally.

Comment

Is this topic immortal?
                  "I'm really an american right-winger, i love the army and hate a forigners, communists, anarchists and ******s. I also belive in god and the american constitution."
                  -Kropotkin
                  I invented the question mark.
                  -Imran Siddiqui
                  TNapoleon
                  Former Resident SidGamer
                  Current Pandemonio.ORG Webmaster
                  FOREIGN ADVISER - People's Republic of Off-Topic (PROT)

Comment

Referring to Pythagoras' post:

SMACX with an earth mod would probably do really well...

I like the way SMAC works better than civ2 - but I am just really annoyed with all the weird terms in there - can't get used to them... therefore I think civ2 is best - for now.

Of course, there's not going to be an earth mod but maybe civ3 will be better... after 4 or 5 patches of course, seeing that it's from the Firaxis team

Comment

Nobody has mentioned civnet - this was civ 1 with multiplayer ability, and better graphics.

Civ 2 and Civ 1 will always be a classic, but if I go to play a game, it will be call to power - although I had a lot of fun with SMAC.

1. CTP
                      2. SMAC
                      3. CIV 2

I think i have just played civ2 sooo much, that i need something new, but i will never get rid of it, thats for sure, especially with all the mods still coming out.
                      "$PLAYER0, the troops bumbling about near $CITY3 are stealing our women and annoying our chikens. Remove them, please." -- my diplomacy.txt

Comment

My favortie is SMAC, for its originality, followed by Colonization. I even think colonization is better then Civ II.

Comment

I would say Civ, with Civ2 and Civnet close behind.

Comment

1) Civ2: CiC & FW - They added events and the scenario directory, which perfected the Civ2 scenario craft. I don't like SMAC much because it's just like Civ2, only with-out the scenario making.

2) Imperialism II - The economy-model from its prequel(sequel history wise) has been simplified, but the game is still pure addiction.

3) Imperialism - Graphics and the military AI are the only things pulling this timeless classic down.

------------------
                            St. Leo
                            www.sidgames.com/imperialism/
                            www.sidgames.com/sidportal/
                            www.sidgames.com/forums/
                            Member of the AUP!
                            Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Civ2
                              then SMAC
                              then Civ1

Don't know about CTP have been too busy paying my phone bill,

Colonisation was dull, the ending was just too limiting.

Comment

Civ II is the greatest!! All others are just faded thermal copies that wear out over time. CTP's tech tree is as unbalanced as a Vulcan during Pon-farr...There is no chance to play any of the perverted weapons that you get late in the game. SMAC is nice with the units, and the borders, but weirder then the cliental at Mos Eisley. All others can't even stimulate the need for combat in a Klingon Warrior. I look forward to ToT, becouse the lust for Battle grows as the Inferiors lie before me in a vanquished heap!

-BM's Antlerless Warrior Friend
                                May reason keep you,

Blue Moose

Comment

Working...
                                X