Reach for the Stars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reach for the Stars

I got the game and have played it a few times. My overall impression is it feels like MoO Light. The game machanics are fairly simple and you can go straight into the game after finishing the tutorial (if you don't feel like reading the manual).

The interface is different but not difficult. I got used to it quickly. It's well designed and generally easy to use.

The best feature of the game - so far - is the excellent reports.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

I played the demo when I came out. Too much emphasis on combat. I can could see the game play getting very tedious as the it advanced.

Stars! Supernova Genesis, Galactic Civlizations, MoO3, and Space Empires IV are the one's I'll keep an eye on.
    "Let us kill the English! Their concept of individual rights could undermine the power of our beloved tyrants!"

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc

Comment

Yes, it's mostly combat. Starships are a dime a dozen, you make them like paper airplanes . I don't like the fact that you can't upgrade your ships. Crew experience means nothing: as a matter of fact, there's no such thing in RftS.

SE 4 is out. You can also get a demo for it. However, all you get is 100 turns and a lot of things aren't explained. The background story for MoO 3 sounds too hokey though the game could be good.

Ah well, might as well wait for Civ 3.
      [This message has been edited by Urban Ranger (edited December 26, 2000).]
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Just to clarify with Reach for the Stars, you are talking about the late 80's 4x space game?
        There's no game in The Sims. It's not a game. It's like watching a tank of goldfishes and feed them occasionally. - Urban Ranger

Comment

No, a new version was released a couple months ago.
          www.reach4ts.com
          "Let us kill the English! Their concept of individual rights could undermine the power of our beloved tyrants!"

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc

Comment

Mouse,

It's a game of the same name by the same company (SSG). Updated though, with better graphics. Since I didn't play the original I can't tell what else is new.

Kyle,

The game's too combat oriented for me also. Got some interesting ideas and design elements for other people to learn, though.

Comment

Working...
            X