Gauntlet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gauntlet

Has anyone played this classic Atari arcade game? Whose your favourite character? What are your tricks and tactics?
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

one of the first games that attracted me with its witty comments, spoken out loud.
    though I sucked bad enough that the one I heard most often was:
    "Blue warrior is about to die"
    Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
    ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

Ack! Quick! Someone give Blue Warrior a quarter!!!

Comment

I admit it! I was a big Gauntlet addict. I pumped many quarters into that machine at a time when I had not many to my name.

For those unaware of this, Gauntlet was an D&D-type archade game which up to four people could play at one time. You could choose to be one of four characters: warrior, wizard, valkarie or elf. The incidious part was, once your hit points started getting low, you could buy more by sticking in another quarter. Thus, in the lower levels, you have four people just shoving quarters into the machine.

I had a machismo-type of play, which meant I took a lot of hits. Thus, I couldn't be wizard or elf because neither had armor. I started off playing the warrior, but he couldn't fling his huge axe through cracks in the wall, which often times was crucial. So I took up playing Valkarie, who--no pun intended--was more well rounded.

Elf had the best personality. Still today, when I get slammed at something, I will echo his pitiful "Yow-ow-ow!" or I'll hear the moderator's soft, sarcastic voice murmur, "My, that was a valient effort."

Comment

I played it a lot at college, and AFAIK was the first to use the "mercenary" strategy on campus.

I was pumping a LOT of quarters in, but realized that the score was going to be divided by the number of coins I used, so I wasn't going to be in the coveted 'top 10'. You could play alone and get all the food, but get swamped within a few screens, or play with others, but have to share the food.

One day it occured to me that I could give the quarters to other players--I was going to dump 'em in, anyway--in exchange for them NOT taking any of the health or power-ups. I got together some trusted associates, and when we were through, I had an unassailable high score for Warrior and Amazon.

Later on, I played a mercenary for the high scorers in Wizard and Elf...
          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I like the comment that says "Elf has been eating all the foods lately!"

I usually play the Elf in multiplayer games and go around stealing food He is good after the Shot Power power-boost. He can out run the monsters if not being surrounded and he has good shot speed.

I also started by pumping in lots of quarters until I watched somebody played solo one day; he played the wizard and he was good. First, he would cold boot the machine by turning it off and on. You will get a special potion on the 8th level in that very fist game after a reset.

Second, he would drop down to 8th level from the 4th level, since the levels in between aren't worth going through.

Third, he remembered the layout of most of the levels, so he could tell where all the monster generators and foods are.

Forth, he used an "off-screen shot" trick. What he would do is to fire a shot at a monster generator just off the edge the screen (not too close or else it would still generate monsters), then he moved his character forward. When timed right the shot would hit the generator before it could make monsters, thus destroying or reducing it. If the generator wasn't destroyed, he would move back, killing off the few weak monsers it created, and repeat.

Two player Gauntlet games were the best, since one player could hold the screen back by standing against it, thus preventing any monster generators from appearing, and the other player would move up and shot at monsters and/or generators through cracks in the walls.

I used to be so good at the game that one quarter could last me an hour or two, depending on luck Some levels are better (lots of food, straight forward layout) than others (few food, tricky layout).
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

My first exposure to this game was on the C64. Although I played Gauntlet II the most, there weren't any drastic differences. I now play the emulated arcade version with Mame.

Bkeela.
              Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

Gaunlet II sucks That's why it didn't sell.

Comment

I just got Mame and gauntlet. Thanks for the suggestion, BKeela. I spend a bit of time nowadays getting around a bit, and listening to those witty comments, like "remember, don't shoot the food!".

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...

Comment

What's Mame?

Comment

MAME is an arcade emulator, as BKeela could tell you.

Comment

Thanks, but for which platform? I don't mind play a couple of games of Gauntlet now and then

Comment

Mame is available for most platforms.
                          http://www.mame.net for windows http://x.mame.net for linux/unix http://macmame.org for macintoshes

If your looking for a different platform check. http://www.mame.net/downports.html
                          Sophanthro was deleted

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

One more question. Where can I find Gauntlet after installing MAME?

Comment

Working...
                              X