No announcement yet.

Recommended Abandoned Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Master of Magic is a great game, possibly the best 4x (ie. Civ-style) game ever made. If you want simpler challenges, may I recommend SkyRoads for mindless fun?

Comment

Anyone know where i can get my hands on "Fallout"?
      When the stars threw down their spears,
      and water'd heaven with their tears,
      Did he smile his work to see?
      Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Tis I on 11-05-2000 11:24 PM
        Anyone know where i can get my hands on "Fallout"?

Yep! $12.99 at EBWorld.

John-SJ

Comment

Some other highly recommended titles:

Universe: an extremely well thought out RPG.

Superheroes of Hoboken: very very funny RPG based on some off-the-wall superheroes.

Star Control 2: another exremely well thought out RPG.

Spaceward Ho!: simplistic space exploration game based on a Western sytle. Change of pace when you have played too much SMAC.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

i've always been a fan of the buck rogers roleplaying games that they've got there.

------------------
            "You call me a masterless man. You are wrong. I am my own master." -Dairya, the Ronin.

"Genius. You are a genius." -Albert Speer

"Jump the F*ck UP!" -Max Cavalera
            Apolyton Legend
            I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
            [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

I really like "Seven Cities of Gold."

You play a Spanish adventurer in the new world, and have to explore, interact with the natives, gain wealth, and eventually set up colonies. While technically a strategy game, the item managemant and interaction with the natives make it feel like an RPG as well. The gameplay was really fun, even though the setup was simple. There was no fighting, just exploration, diplomacy, item management, and of course the goal of setting up those colonies and getting them enough supplies.

I have no idea how old it is; it was a Dan Bunten game that originally came out for the Commodore 64. I got the PC version an a "Classics" pack that was in a bargain bin about five years ago. I heve never seen it or even heard of it since then. I think this is the best game that no one knows about.

Comment

tonic,

You missed Spaceward Ho!

I have played Colonization, but not enough to make any comments. Pretty cool as far as I can tell.

Also MoO, MoO 2, and Railroad Tycoon.

But the best abandonware game (well not quite as of now, as Hasbro put out a compilation with it ) is UFO: Enemies Unknown (XCOM: UFO Defense for Usians ).

Maybe not better than Civ, but definitely in the same class.
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

classic-trash seems to be a good website for abandonware as well.

------------------
                  Visit CivGaming Network
                  Post on CGN Forums

Comment

I love X-Com: UFO Defense. Best $3 I ever spent.

I have a habit of picking up games a couple years after they get released. You get them dirt cheap, and after a game has been out for a while you will know if it is worthwhile.

Comment

DopeWars for Windows provides hours of simple drug-dealing fun.

Comment

Colonization would be no. 1
                        If you're into really old games, what about Defender of the Crown or California Games or Romance of the three kingdoms 3

------------------
                        Moderator at CGN Colonization Forums
                        ------------------
                        Visit The Civilization Gaming Network
                        Post on CGN Forums
                        [This message has been edited by phoenixcager (edited December 05, 2000).]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Richard Bruns on 12-04-2000 11:09 PM
                          I have a habit of picking up games a couple years after they get released. You get them dirt cheap, and after a game has been out for a while you will know if it is worthwhile.

That's a mighty good practice. Unfortunately we don't have bargin bins here. Most games run out quickly unless they are real trash. For example, I can't find Homeworld anymore even though it's less than a year old.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by phoenixcager on 12-05-2000 03:25 AM
                            Colonization would be no. 1
                            If you're into really old games, what about Defender of the Crown or California Games or Romance of the three kingdoms 3

Defender of the Crown was kinda fun. The really annoying part was the sword fight portion that I had problems handling. After I got the hang of that it's not a difficult game. I don't know if the sword fights get a lot harder on these faster computers My major complaint was DotC played like puzzle solving in the sense that it had certain key sequences that, once discovered, would lead to victory.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms is good but I can't tell if it's abandonware. Koei keeps coming out with newer editions (up to 7 or 8).
                            [This message has been edited by Urban Ranger (edited December 05, 2000).]

Comment

Working...
                            X