Colonization for Windows 95

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colonization for Windows 95

I picked up the Windows version for less than $5, but it doesn't work properly (right-clicking on anything causes a crash, for instance). When I start the game, I get the warning that this edition was made for an early version of Windows 95.

Does anyone know where I can download an upgrade of the game?

------------------
    If you have no feet, don't walk on fire
    A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...
    Project Lead of Might and Magic Tribute

I don't think there's an upgrade for colonizaiton, but I have been able to get the windows version to run on Win 98 on my system. Maybe the problem is with your machine?

Comment

No, everything else runs fine.

------------------
      A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...

Comment

Hey Ribannah - I got it work fine in windows 2000, I suppose since windows 95 is much more backwards compattible it would work.
        "What can you say about a society that says that God is dead and Elvis is alive?" Irv Kupcinet

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown

Comment

Um. i had a problem initially with an abandonware version I downloaded in that it didn't run under any screen resolution above 480x640 and I had to manually reset my screen parameters each time before starting up.
          You might want to try something similar..

Comment

The version I have allows 1028x768 and 800x600. I'll try the lower resolution, good idea

------------------

Comment

Another problem with this version is that its impossible to plow/clear forest inside the city square. And they have removed the ability to se the numbers of the cargo inside cities. And ofcourse i miss the unload bug.

Comment

Well, I didn't get that far

I have tried other resolutions now but that makes no difference: problems and warning message stay the same .

------------------

Comment

Well, if all else fails you could always dl an abandonware version ( www.bhlegend.com ) - look under the strategy section. Col for windows is listed. I think you'd have to do the screen resize thing though.

Heh, that'd just about be a first. Somebody who has a perfectly LEGAL (and moral) right to it, downloading software classified as abandonware.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by ravagon on 10-16-2000 05:18 AM
                    Heh, that'd just about be a first. Somebody who has a perfectly LEGAL (and moral) right to it, downloading software classified as abandonware.

LOL

Yes, that's what I thought, too. I'll give it a try,
                    found several adresses already from old Colonization posts on this board. Thanks.

Or as a last resort I could perhaps install the DOS-version ... nah, probably won't work at all.

------------------

Comment

I tried downloading the win version from the site listed above and it didn't work. But the dos version did work fine in W98.
                      Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

I had a bit of a look-see at Col for Windows, but I decided pretty quickly that I was happier playing the DOS version. I'll admit that I didn't give it much of a shot, but I didn't really see any advantage in the Windows version.

------------------
                        - MKL
                        "I'm OK. How are you? Thanks for asking, thanks for asking."
                        Shameless Plug: http://www.poetic-license.org
                        - mkl

Comment

Does anybnody know if the maximum colony limit is removed in col for windows?

Comment

Errr. No idea. Sorry.

------------------
                            - MKL
                            "And of course Henry The Horse dances the waltz!"
                            Shameless Plug: http://www.poetic-license.org celebrates it's First Birthday! All welcome.
                            - mkl

Comment

There is a patch for Colonization for Windows 95, REALLY. Late is better than nothing.
                              Try patches-scrolls.de I think one of the patch fix the startup problem.

(Edited: Correct the link. I think the other big game sites like gamesdomain would have the patches too)
                              [This message has been edited by Chow Yun Fat (edited October 31, 2000).]
                              You really want to take me seriously?
                              Think twice!

Comment

Working...
                              X